First Attempt with Senior Pic - C&C

ryan_caldero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I just bought me a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and had yet to test it out. A friend of mine asked if I would take her Senior pictures (no charge, cuz I am not pro status).. I took a bunch of pictures and yet to edit 80% of them. I edited a few today and I think so far these are my personal favs. Shot with 50D at sunset at the beach and the 2nd at some historic home in Santa Barbara. Let me know what you think on composition or whatever you feel needs improvement to enhance my mad skillz. I know they are on the warm side, but I liked it better on the warm side.

1. right before sunset - just natural light, sun lower right f3.5, 1/125 sec, ISO-100

WEB-IMG_2379 by ryan_caldero, on Flickr

2. 4:45pm - natural light, f2.8, 1/160 sec, ISO-100

WEB-IMG_2241-2 by ryan_caldero, on Flickr

YO! I know i cut off some limbs, so i have to tell myself better luck next time!

Yeah, you cut off limbs, but that doesn't bother me with these. When you have your subject leaning on an arm it puts tension on them that makes them uncomfortable. In the first where she is resting heavily on her wrist, notice the wrist is full of wrinkles, the hand is blanched from the wieght on it, and lastly the arm is locked straight where a curved natural position would look more pleasing and be more relaxing for the model. Sort of the same thing in the second shot where the shoulder ends up hunched because of leaning on it. Try it next time, take the shot with weight on then have the model lean off a bit to relax things..

If you are not going to use flash, at least find a reflector of some sorts to give you some fill light when you have brighter backgrounds than your subject. Bouncing the light into the face will help fill the dark eyes and it would also help with the blown out white top in the second shot. Doesn't hurt either that it will help to bring out the color in her brown eyes better with the brighter exposure.

Definitely need a reflector or fill flash. Also, as Tony S said, the poses seem uncomfortable and unnatural. Other than that, not bad for your first shots.

If it can bend (arm, leg joints), bend it at least a little.

Be sure and get light to the eyes, the windows to the soul.

Try and keep the cameras at or slightly lower than the eyes.

Most reactions

Back