First camera for photo AND video

djdelarosa25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there! :)

I'm looking to buy my first camera. My budget is PHP 20,000 - PHP 30,000 (roughly $500 - $600). DSLR or mirrorless, it doesn't matter. I will be using it for both photo and video, so a camera that strikes good balance between the two would be great.

I will only be using the kit lens for an indefinite amount of time (possibly forever).

On my own research, the Sony a6000 and Nikon D5500 (the one with the new AF-P kit lens) seem to check all the right boxes. But I'm still open to other suggestions that are better for the money.

Thanks to all who will help :)

Both good cameras using same sensor so expect same image quality.
D5500 has swivel touch screen while the a6000 has a very good auto focus for video.
Nikon has many more lenses and third party while Sony has limited amount.

Another option is Panasonic G7 which has 4K

Both good cameras using same sensor so expect same image quality.
D5500 has swivel touch screen while the a6000 has a very good auto focus for video.
Nikon has many more lenses and third party while Sony has limited amount.

Another option is Panasonic G7 which has 4K

Thank you for the reply :)

If you were made to choose, which would you pick?

I think the Panasonic G7 isn't officially available in my country. I'm not sure yet, but I will check. If it fits my budget, then I'll go for it. If it doesn't, then either the D5500 or a6000.

I own the G7, its a good camera and the lenses are very cheap especially if you get MFT used lenses.
Mind you if you want to do only auto focus in video then the Sony a6000 is the only one who has a good video AF out of these 3.
Other then that the G7 is the best for video, mind you the G7 is MFT sensor so its a bit smaller then the other two APS-C sensor so expect 1/3 to 1/2 drop in low light performance but that's not a huge deal as the G7 is still good in low light especially if you pair it with a prime lens and again those are not expensive.
G7 was replaced with the G85, main difference between the two is IBIS so the G7 is a better deal for people with small budget.
Me I own 2 systems, Nikon and Panasonic so I didn't want to invest too much in my second system so the G7 which I intend mostly for video is a good choice.
It does also good photography but I wouldn't use the G7 for pro photography work (weddings) even though I am sure its possible two.
You can PM if you have more questions

I have a D5300 (earlier version of the D5500) and it does take great video and still photos.
Keep in mind that video with a DSLR is hard unless it's a static scene. Physically the DSLR is not designed well for video. You're looking at the screen on the back so holding up in your arms and changing zoom without wiggling the camera is almost impossible. You can add accessories like a Steadicam and external screen and get better control.

Thanks for the responses, guys! :) I think I'll be going for the a6000, as autofocus is important for me

Thanks for the responses, guys! :) I think I'll be going for the a6000, as autofocus is important for me
For video AF its the right choice.
There really isn't one camera that can do everything perfect so you need to know the a6000 is not without its issues too.
1.Heatting, under long use the a6000 might over heat, this is less of an issue with te a6000 compared to its newer version the a6300 and a6500 if you shoot them in 4K
2.Small batteries means bad battery life, so if you will get the a6000 then get it with lots more batteries

There really isn't one camera that can do everything perfect so you need to know the a6000 is not without its issues too.
1.Heatting, under long use the a6000 might over heat, this is less of an issue with te a6000 compared to its newer version the a6300 and a6500 if you shoot them in 4K
2.Small batteries means bad battery life, so if you will get the a6000 then get it with lots more batteries

I heard about both issues. I don't think I'll be using it for a prolonged period of time anyway. As for overheating, I read in a forum that they already fixed it in a firmware update. I'm not so sure, though.

I heard about both issues. I don't think I'll be using it for a prolonged period of time anyway. As for overheating, I read in a forum that they already fixed it in a firmware update. I'm not so sure, though.
As long as you don't plan long recording sessions you might be ok, I have seen 2 videographers using a6000 to shoot weddings so this camera seems to be ok for some pro work.
As for problem fixed in firmware, maybe but I doubt it, it looks to me like Sony made the a6xxx simply too small and its got problems dissipating all the heat building up in its guts while working hard.

I am very familiar with both of the cameras you are considering. They have comparable image quality. I have small hands and I still find the A6000 controls hard to manipulate. I also find the menu system of the A6000 not user friendly. On the other hand, I find the D5500 as well as most other Nikon models both ergonomic and the menu user friendly. In other words, I prefer the handling characteristics of the D5500 over the A6000. For these reasons I would recommend the D5500 over the A6000. On the other hand, if size and pocketability is a primary concern, the A6000 definitely has the edge. It easily fits in my jacket pocket giving me a high quality interchangeable lens camera. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back