First effort at panorama

stevet1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This was my first effort at creating a panorama.
I know the focus is a little off, and maybe I should have increased my shutter speed slightly, but I was more focused on the technique of how I could do it.
This is a shot out my front door.
Six photos taken at 70mm. F11, 1/250

upload_2019-9-27_9-25-21.png

Steve Thomas

Its a little too small to really see how you did.

I've only tried it a couple of times and never got it right. But my issue always seemed to be getting the stitching right and there would be discontinuities in the image.

I use PSE and I do my stitching with layers, using the opacity slider to make the top layer see through each time sometimes at 200% view water and waves are the worst to stitch, a little cloning helps here and there
As for viewing this is always going to be a problem. Panos are by their nature big and trying to view on a screen is never easy or does them justice
PSE does have an auto stitching program for panos but mine are always to big
The last one was 2GB file size

I use Image Composite Editor (ICE) from Microsoft to stitch my panoramas. Do you shoot the panorama in full Manual Mode? This includes Manual Focus. If anything is in Auto mode, you can get variations. The 2GB file size seems extreme, particularly for the panorama you posted. I shoot RAW then group process them in DXO Optics Pro before exporting them to good quality JPEG files. The individual JPEG files are usually less than 10 Meg and the finished pano is about 60 meg or less.

Hi it was my pano that was 2GB it is 72 by14 inches made up of 20 images and at least 2 layers per image and in tiff
It’s is a big file, I don’t flatten until print then the flattened image is a copy the original always stays as tiff
Due to the digital equivalent of the xerox factor with j peg I only use j peg to post here as requested by print house or as digital equivalent of contact sheets.
Yes I am aware it’s big but still in layers and in tiff I retain the option to go back and rework the image at a later date
As my skill and technology improves
Call it future proofing

looks fine though as said a little too small to really tell. 1/250th at 70mm should be enough, I find as long as I pause I can shoot handheld panos at 1/100th, but a tripod and a panoramic head helps with getting a flatter image. A leveling base is really useful if you shoot with a tripod. One top tip is to set your white balance before you shoot, I've shot a few that needed colour corrected before stitching just because the white balance changed.

I do my fair share of panoramas, I stitch mine in lightroom as I rekon it does a better job than photoshop. Photoshop's wide angle filter can help correct any perspective issues from shooting handheld and is really useful.

Original katomi: I confused your post with the original post and the posted photo. I can see yours being that big but I would sure hate to have to deal with a file that size.

Needs to be bigger..............

Jeff,

My original was 1975X428 pixels, but the Forum software would not let me post am image that large.
I had to cut it back to 640X138 to post it.

One thing that's got me puzzled...

I'm looking west, with the sun coming from my left around 2:00 in the afternoon. Of the six images that comprise the panorama, panning from left to right, the EXIF info in the first photo shows the ISO level as being 4000, but the last photo on the right being at 1600. Being a beginner, that seems opposite to me.
I have the ISO set to automatic.
The first photo is is more in shade. The last is fully exposed to sunlight streaming in from the southwest.

Why does the last photo seem to be more washed out?
Should I have increased the shutter speed?
Should I have just set the ISO to 100 or 200 manually?

Steve Thomas

I have everything in manual.
Tip got you
I do a run through first noting the values the light meter gives me, as you noticed they can very
From the values I recorded, pen and paper, I work out an average and set my camera to that and shoot
Raw will give me the Lea way to adjust exposure

Most reactions

Back