First Flash

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy my first flash. It will be used indoors to help with low light and outdoors for fill flash, sometimes in full sun at the beach. Would probably use mostly when taking photos of family.
I've searched and there is so much info that it becomes confusing. Looking for some pointers or recommendations to get me going. I would like to be able to use it both on and off camera, Canon 80D.
I have a budget around $150 to $200 right now. I don't mind to wait if saving more money helps get a better set up.

430 EXII for around $100 will do the trick and can be controlled by the camera.
Don't get overly complicated, stick with what works, and study HOW the flash works (how to use flash) rather than model.

I'm looking to buy my first flash. It will be used indoors to help with low light and outdoors for fill flash, sometimes in full sun at the beach. Would probably use mostly when taking photos of family.
I've searched and there is so much info that it becomes confusing. Looking for some pointers or recommendations to get me going. I would like to be able to use it both on and off camera, Canon 80D.
I have a budget around $150 to $200 right now. I don't mind to wait if saving more money helps get a better set up.
My first flash was a 430ex II back when they were expensive lol. It was a solid little flash.

If your just starting, why not get something by Godox or Yongnuo?

The Godox TT350 has built in wireless and it's $84 with free shipping. You can use the left over money for a trigger and a light stand.
Godox TT350C Mini Thinklite TTL Flash for Canon Cameras

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I will second the vote for spending $110 on the R2 equipped flash linked to above. Having a built-in transmitter in your flash is worth a lot. You never forget the transmitter, you never have to worry about having a cable to connect your flash to the trigger/receiver.... you never have to worry about trigger batteries being dead, and of course your speedlight(s) seamlessly communicate with your studio flash system.

It's okay. Still usable

for $25 more you can the the flashpoint I linked that doesn't suck...

or the same thing in GODOX brand: Godox TT685C Thinklite TTL Flash for Canon Cameras

the TT350 is barely brighter than a pop-up flash...

Yes this looks like a decent flash for the money. And for under the same $200 you should buy the trigger with it so you can use it remote. For good outdoor fill, using it remote is advisable!
Though you CAN find the Canon 600 RT mkl for about $150 used if you're not in a hurry and have time to source one out but the st-e3 trigger would be close to the same but I think a Yongnuo or Flashpoint trigger might fire it as well but i'm not sure! Good Luck
SS

No. Youngnuo is no. Stay away.

Flashpoint or godox. Their entire little wireless system is built in and works throughout nearly their entire product range.

If you want to save a little bit of cash you can get the non-TTL version of both of the flashes I linked. But you might as well just go with the TTL to start plus it has a built-in controller so it can control any other flashpoint or godax flash.

Totally excellent recommendation by @Braineack . I use them (Godox) and they pop so reliably, off camera and on camera. The Flashpoint are the house brand for Adorama and are identical hardware of the Godox.

No. Youngnuo is no. Stay away.

Flashpoint or godox. Their entire little wireless system is built in and works throughout nearly their entire product range.

If you want to save a little bit of cash you can get the non-TTL version of both of the flashes I linked. But you might as well just go with the TTL to start plus it has a built-in controller so it can control any other flashpoint or godax flash.

Yes, I've also heard that CS is non-existent with Yongnuo.
Flashpoint is somewhat, I say somewhat supported by Adorama but likely not the Godox. So I'd buy Flashpoint over Godox.
My reference to Yongnuo was strictly that IF the OP went with a used Canon 600 and was trying to save money that the Yongnuo Trigger might fire the 600 the same as the Canon St-e3. I doubt the Flashpoint trigger would fire a Canon 600 on RT and ttl.
I was NOT suggesting a Yongnuo flash! Thanks for the opportunity to clarify that!
I would prefer a Canon 600 over the Flashpoint speedlight but I do like the idea of the Flashpoint Streaklight with the bare bulb. I'd like to try one!!!
SS

It's the same flash with the added R2 transmitter packaged with it for off-camera work.

FWIW, I own that flash along with three other flashpoint R2 zoom manual flashes, the R2 transmitter, R2 Pro Transmitter, R2 Pro mII transmitter, the Flashpoint XPLOR600 studio strobe, and two Flashpoint Studio 400 strobes.

So seven flashpoint/godox flashes -- all controlled on the same wireless system, either using the transmitters, or directly from the ttl zoom r2 speedlight since it has a built in transmitter.

I've used them is all sorts of combos for studio, portrait, and wedding work.

You want a flash that has the built-in R2 trigger system.... that alone is reason enough to buy the Flashpoint model.

Most reactions

Back