First gig!! Pls help!! Plus: does pro equipment make you a pro and opposite?

Assuming this whole gig isn't a scam, then they know very well that they haven't approached a professional photographer. Therefore, they shouldn't expect you to show up with a truckload of professional gear.

Assuming again, that you are not being taken for a ride; turn up, do your best with your current gear. If they don't like it, tough!

There should at least be a contract that states how much you will be paid and when.

Does buying a race car make you a race car driver?
Yes. Assuming you drive the race car.
But, just driving a race car does not also mean you would have any appreciation of how to effectively drive the car or conduct yourself in an actual race.

Does buying a race car make you a race car driver?
Yes. Assuming you drive the race car.
But, just driving a race car does not also mean you would have any appreciation of how to effectively drive the car or conduct yourself in an actual race.

------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------

Now we are just playing a word game

Now that you've all drifted off the topic.......once again. I find it a real stretch of the imagination that a huge company that relies on beauty and perfection, would risk using an unknown person with a camera to shoot anything related to their company. They would have access to a huge network of skilled professionals to choose from, and yet magically and for some "I really don't know how they found me, maybe it was facebook" reason, they have decided to go with someone they don't know.

Maybe it was the old throw a dart at the phone book, and hire the name under the dart.

As long as you are at it I need some help also. The White House called me and want me to do a shoot for the First Lady, What equipment should I take? :lmao:

OMG I'm picturing Michelle O. doing a suggestive/nude shoot
biggrin.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

bump- TOP!

'cuz this is the winniest thread

"Ironic isn't it? Pro equipment doesn't make you a pro, yet somehow not having it makes you a noob! That's just sad... What happened to the belief "It's not the camera it's the photographer"? We photographers get so pissed when "normal people" dare praise the camera for the good pictures not us, but somehow we do tend to judge each other based on what gear our fellow togs are using. --> not complaining, just looking for the logic"

because people are hiring you and that also entails 'renting' your equipment. its like restaurants using fresh and real food vs canned.

Pro equipment delivers greater artistic latitude because pro gear can be used over a broader range of operating conditions. Pro gear also delivers increased longevity by dint of it's better durability.

A knowledgeable, skilled pro can make good images with 'any gear', but only within the more limited operating range that 'any gear' allows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back