First HDR

HannahRebekah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hannahrebekahphotography.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first try at HDR. What did I do wrong/right?

4573256854_3c21bf439b_b.jpg

well.. you failed at parking!!

Well to me, ill be picky and say that the uneven light in the background is not appealing. The bottom right, the grass, is distracting, along with the light pole in the background.

On the plus side, i like the composition, and i like the fact that there is very little "hdr" affect; in other words, nice job.

Edit: I forgot to say.. SICK CAR!

so was this one exposure that was adjusted in post, or was this 3 exposures that were blended together in post to create an HDR?

first; there are areas that are blown out, wheels etc.

second; as far as car shots go its not the best. the shadows all over the body really ruin the flow of the lines, and the background is disruptive.

HDR wise it likely wasn't the best candidate to start, but on the other hand you didn't make the nOOb mistake of cranking the settings to 11 and thinking it looked good, and for that i thank you. Well my retinas thank you.

keep trying and experimenting

It was three separate photos.

The wheels aren't technically blown out, but they are too bright. For some reason, when I went to select them in layers, it wouldn't select. It kept taking the whole screen. Couldn't figure out why. Anyway, you're right about the shadows; I played with the highlights and the grass a bunch, but totally forgot about the harsh shadows. You don't like the background? I thought the water looked cool. Oh, and you're welcome. I know a lot of what does and doesn't look good since not a noob to photography, just to HDR. ;)

The dynamic range in the scene probably required 6 exposures or so.

How many did you make? Three is the minumum to make a true HDR. Most HDR's require more than 3 exposures to come out decent.

You picked car in a poor location. The tree? shadow in the middle of the car hurts as does the brightly lit A and C pillars in the car interior.

There is an HDR section of the forums. This section, Beyond the Basics, is not a critique of photo gallery section.

It did say HDR in the definition. And thanks.
I got that. I missed where you said you did three exposures though. Three wasn't enough to cover the dynamic range of the scene. You're welcome.

The other night, in someone elses HDR thread, I explained how to use your camera to determine the total dynamic range in whatever scene it is you're trying to shoot as an HDR so you know how many exposures you need to make.

Yeah, I don't see anything really HDR about the shot. It could have been accomplished very easily with just one shot.

Most reactions

Back