First model shoot, CC pleaase

I agree with your whole commentary and it didn't sound condescending at all. In fact, I only meant that you sounded that way to the person that said that they liked fake flare, not the OP. You were a bit harsh to that person for their uneducated opinion.

I'm all for giving people honest advice to help then grow and learn. I agree that giving people a false sense of reality that their work is great with comments like "wow I love it" do no good in helping them do that.

With all that said, I'm strictly saying that because of all of the weirdness in the original pic (makeup, foreground encroaching on her, etc.) it looked like the flare was intentional and added something to the story of the shot and I liked it overall better than without the flare.

Please don't think that I am against honest feedback - it's what makes this forum such a great place to learn.

I agree with your whole commentary and it didn't sound condescending at all. In fact, I only meant that you sounded that way to the person that said that they liked fake flare, not the OP. You were a bit harsh to that person for their uneducated opinion.

I'm all for giving people honest advice to help then grow and learn. I agree that giving people a false sense of reality that their work is great with comments like "wow I love it" do no good in helping them do that.

With all that said, I'm strictly saying that because of all of the weirdness in the original pic (makeup, foreground encroaching on her, etc.) it looked like the flare was intentional and added something to the story of the shot and I liked it overall better than without the flare.

Please don't think that I am against honest feedback - it's what makes this forum such a great place to learn.

A lot of how I respond to a person depends on the person, the posts they have made, the level of expertise they show (or not), whether or not they shoot for money (i.e. PRO) but still ask silly beginner questions, and many other factors...

including yes, even my moods, what I had for lunch, whether the sun is out, etc..... Catch me on a good day, I might be nicer! Catch me on a bad day? (let's not go there!) ;)

I do try for honesty, always! And due to constant nagging from the MOD's, I am even making an effort at being less caustic (which really means I just don't bother posting in the threads that deserve those kinds of caustic comments! Or at least not often!)

Charlie just doesn't have any patience for bull****. It's a trait I respect in people. The world is too full of it and it's followed blindly by too many that don't know "good" because they haven't really seen "bad", in whatever way that might manifest.

I know that he's among those who have contributed a great deal to my photography because I'm not one of the blind and know that what might appear to be blunt or condescending is nothing more than pure honesty, which if allowed past ego, is the kindest thing anyone can do for another.

Last edited:

A lot of how I respond to a person depends on the person, the posts they have made, the level of expertise they show (or not), whether or not they shoot for money (i.e. PRO) but still ask silly beginner questions, and many other factors...

including yes, even my moods, what I had for lunch, whether the sun is out, etc..... Catch me on a good day, I might be nicer! Catch me on a bad day? (let's not go there!) ;)

I do try for honesty, always! And due to constant nagging from the MOD's, I am even making an effort at being less caustic (which really means I just don't bother posting in the threads that deserve those kinds of caustic comments! Or at least not often!)

Oh lighten up ;)

Charlie just doesn't have any patience for bull****. It's a trait I respect in people. The world is too full of it and it's followed blindly by too many that don't know "good" because they haven't really seen "bad", in whatever way that might manifest.

I know that he's among those who have contributed a great deal to my photography because I'm not one of the blind and know that what might appear to be blunt or condescending is nothing more than pure honesty, which if allowed past ego, is the kindest thing anyone can do for another.

When one can let go of the ego, the ability to learn is beyond measurable.

Normally I'm a huge fan of what cgibson1 has to say but that did come off a bit condescending and unnecessary. I too represent the "uneducated" and only have a basic understanding of the "classic rules/guidelines of portrait or composition" but to me it's a no-brainer that the first version is the better one. Without the added flare, it's simply a poorly placed model with too much distraction surrounding her. With the flare there is an air of mystery or a "gotcha" moment, almost as if we just caught a fairy in her natural element. Granted, if that were the intention we would have needed an ever-so-slightly better pose from her but the feel is there none the less. The first version is a nicely done piece in a very contemporary style that we're seeing more and more of. Yes, it goes against many "classic" thoughts but it certainly works better than the second version. I'm sure that if the OP wanted to create a typical, classic portrait with this model he would have been more than capable of doing so. I like what he did with it, call me stupid if you like, but aesthetically it's pleasing.

This is going to sound condescending too then! One issue we see a lot, is where an image will be posted that has several things wrong with it by someone that doesn't know there is anything wrong with it. Then OTHERS that don't KNOW there is anything wrong with it, come in.. and reinforce those mistakes by saying WOW... and I LOVE IT. If no one spoke up, then the the hypothetical OP would keep on shooting that way because he now thinks it is good since he was told so, by others (even though they don't know enough to recognize what was wrong in the first place!

Addressing this issue usually results in the "It's Art.. It's subjective" comment... which may be true, but when the commenter doesn't know enough to really know good from bad, someone has to "be condescending" and let them know. My delivery is not always "sugar coated", I admit... but hey, I don't get paid for this either... and sometimes I get a little irritated at some of the "overly positive" comments on an image,when they should be "less than positive" comments! (and I am not the only one!)

Just saying "It's Art" does not necessarily make it "Good Art"...

If anyone learned anything here... good... otherwise I (and many others) are wasting our time.

Does that help? Or is this comment "Condescending" also?

We love seeing other people C&C... but please.. instead of a WOW... or and I LOVE IT... state WHY you think it is WOW and why YOU LOVE IT (or at least THINK about it! And do some research if you need to, so that you can better explain it... GOOGLE is your friend!)

It's very difficult for me by nature to be critical, I'm an optimist.. but I agree, it wouldn't kill me to be a realist at times, and I can understand your frustration.

It's Charlies Hug A Cop day! :hug::

Oh lighten up ;)

I do sometimes... but it requires huge amounts of Tapioca Pudding, Jamaican rum, and multiple purty ladies! :)

Is that light enough for you? ;)

So long as it was a brief masculine hug. :lmao:

So long as it was a brief masculine hug. :lmao:

What? Not in touch with your "Sensitive" side?

If you hug Josh the Cop
He will give your head a bop
Cuz he is not that kind of guy
(except when he does it on the SLY!)

Oh lighten up ;)

I do sometimes... but it requires huge amounts of Tapioca Pudding, Jamaican rum, and multiple purty ladies! :)

Is that light enough for you? ;)

Haha, that's an acceptable amount of lightness.

I actually heard about Kodachrome while talking to an instructor about shooting film.. I have an interest in it. He mentioned it and told me I'd missed out on it.. no more around. Lol

EDIT: And I'm in the wrong thread again... aren't I?

I actually heard about Kodachrome while talking to an instructor about shooting film.. I have an interest in it. He mentioned it and told me I'd missed out on it.. no more around. Lol

EDIT: And I'm in the wrong thread again... aren't I?

Josh... JUST SAY NO! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back