First moon photo

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first attempt at a moon photo. Managed to get it at ISO 320, 1/200 of a second, and f11. I couldn't figure out how to get a quiet shutter to reduce camera shake (beyond doing a self-timer on the tripod), but I think on my next moon shot I will be doing 1/400 to ensure sharpness is as best as possible.

Cropped into about 1/12th of the frame or thereabouts for the final image. I think if I got the moon when it's closer, I could get something really nice.

If you have any suggestions for editing or capturing the moon, let me know! :)

The Moon Flickr - Photo Sharing
19039081612_e013e48c15_o.jpg

Nicely done! As for the Crop, I think it's fine. Maybe take some of the empty void off the right side, but it works fine as is.

Nice shot. I agree some cropping is in order.

For all intents and purposes when doing photography of the Moon with a DSLR, the Moon is at infinity since the point of focus is 250,000 or so miles away. When the Moon is at perigee to Earth it's still a long way away and how turbulent Earth's atmosphere is at the time a photo of the Moon is made has a lot to do with how sharp a photo can be produced.
Inconstant Moon The Moon at Perigee and Apogee

Consequently a small lens aperture like f/11 is not needed to have a deep depth of field.
Online Depth of Field Calculator

You could have gotten to 1/400 by opening up the lens aperture 1 stop to f/8.

Using a 1200 mm focal length lens, or telescope, and a extremely fast aperture of f/1, the near limit of the DoF would be about 16.5 miles in front of the camera (still well inside Earth's atmosphere) and the far limit would be infinity - way, way, WAY beyond the Moon.

[QUOTE="PaulWog, post: 3496023, member: 151692"I couldn't figure out how to get a quiet shutter to reduce camera shake (beyond doing a self-timer on the tripod), but I think on my next moon shot I will be doing 1/400 to ensure sharpness is as best as possible.
[/QUOTE]

Check your manual for Shutter lockup and use the 2 second delay, to avoid some of the shake. As you mentioned putting it on a tripod will also help. (use all three to really be safe.)

By doing that, you could probably go to ISO 200 and keep it at 1/200 of a second and be just fine at f/8.

Look for "MuP"
I think you have the d750 now so that would be on the lower dial on the top left. S, Cl, Ch .. etc up to MuP

first click, is Mirror Up lock
second click is taking a photo
best used with a remote release.

Most reactions

Back