What's new

First photo w/ flash C&C needed

jaxx419

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
428
Reaction score
35
Location
East Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I mentioned in another thread under the B&B section, I'm borrowing a Nikon SB 900 flash from work for a bridal shower event next weekend that i was asked to shoot (will just be practice for me). This is my first real attempt using flash of any kind outside (I don't own my own external flash).. I've only played around with it for a few hours so let me know if I need to change any settings?!

I know the balcony is a little busy with the background, but it was the best background I could get from my balcony. I thought at least it was a consistant background and not part window/door, etc.

I believe I had the flash set to TTL mode but it might have been TTL BC (I was trying to notice the difference between the two), bounced flash up with no diffuser, and had the illumination pattern set to "even". ISO 100, 1/80, f3.5, 35mm
I want to buy some black foam and try to make one of those "black foam things" that's mentioned in a video posted in my B&B section thread..

My cat and number 1 model, Hatteras:
7055125541_435f7474cb_z.jpg


Thanks!
 
Guess my photo is perfect. Thanks!
 
Give it time.. lol It is after all a holiday.

I'm not seeing really any result from the flash. From the look of the light in the cats eyes and the shadow behind the left ear the light is coming in from out over the balcony railing . If you were out on the balcony and had the flash pointed up, then most likely there was nothing overhead to bounce the flash back down on the cat. TTL would read that the flash was not hitting the cat and would have set the exposure for ambient light.
 
The balcony ceiling is light tan Sony thought it would bounce some light. I'll try again inside instead of outside.

When compared to other outside photos I've taken in the balcony there's more light in his eyes but you might be right! It overall looked brighter and just nicer than my other photos.

Also, just so everyone knows what the balcony is like.. There's only railing behind the cat, sliding door on front, tan/cream ceiling and walls to the left and right.
 
i really like it! the composition is nice because the cat is to the right of the frame. the flash washed out some of the whites a little to much for my taste, but nice job!
 
^^ thanks! I might have done that in post and maybe i can fix it? it looks really pretty set as my computer "desktop"!

Edit.. There's one white spot under his right eye that almost looks too bright, is that what you're talking about?
 
The fact that you can't tell it's flash is a good think. A very good thing! IMO, most of the time you don't want to let the viewer clearly see that flash was used. This is one of the hardest thing actually in using a flash - to disguise it within ambient light, white balance, color temperature, the overall mood of the image.

If the cat was in fact illuminated by flash and this is what you got than the TTL meter was quite impressive or you have dialed in the perfect settings.
 
I moved the dial on my camera so the exposure was as close to the middle as possible. Not sure if that's what you mean by dialed the perfect settings.
 
Adichiru- when I get a chance can you let me know if I was correct in understanding what you meant regarding "dialed in perfect settings?"

If I was right I want to make sure I do that again.. If not, then I need to figure out what I did or if it was all the flash.

Thanks!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom