First post, first pictures.

im_jacobf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I just got a DSLR (Olympus E-420) and I have been taking some pictures. I thoroughly enjoy black and white photography, so I have given my go at some of them.

Please rate and give me any tips at all about how I can improve my pictures :) Thank you very much for your time.

4139193012_21a1e444a6.jpg

4138430933_9b5dc883bd.jpg

4139215930_f28d073dca.jpg

4136782905_c691b5f22b.jpg

4139236172_e83970da24.jpg

Again, thanks for your time :)

Last edited:
Congrats on your new camera. I would say you need to work on your composition. Your images look like snap shots. The last one is nice but try not to put your subject right in the center. On #3 the cup in the foreground is really distracting and on the 2nd the butter stack on the right either needs to be fully or out of the image. I would say out again it is distracting from what you are doing there. I would suggest browsing around on here and looking at others photos for ideas and reading peoples critiques of them. Also just go play with all the settings on the camera and see what happens.

I am with scuba.

Some CC

#1 - The person in the background is kind of in the way...

#2 - What ever is at the top of the photo behind the second mug makes the contrast of the mug and table hard to see.

#3 - Cup in the foreground

#4 - Maybe if you were looking "down" the wood it would be better

#5 - The best out of them all.

Scuba + Agent + Me:

BW aren't as simple as BW only b/c to go from pure white to pure black, you hit many shades in the middle. Thus ideal BW image encompasses MOST if not ALL of those shades. Keep that in mind when you're shooting and PPing.
In PP, by altering color channels will provide various interesting effects.
good luck

Thank you guys for all of the help :) Those were my first pictures I've taken, so I hope to improve. I appreciate your input very much.

Most reactions

Back