First question...re: RAW files

Photosformyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All right, I just made the switch to shooting in raw. Very scary for me, but I figured that I had 'the basics' down enough to trust that I was shooting ok. My question is is there a benefit to using the large raw format. I'm shooting with a canon 7d, mainly doing portraits and using a 50mm. I would like to be able to fit more on my 4gig card. Or maybe I am still taking too many pictures and hoping for the best...what do you pros do?

A lot can be said about this, and has been. Try the search button for RAW vs. Jpeg or such, and you will see a wealth of information gone over again and again.

Search first, ask questions later. :sexywink:

First of all, there is nothing scary about shooting RAW. In fact, I would be more scared to shoot just JPEG. RAW is way more forgiving. So your fears are misplaced. Of course there are benefits to shooting large files. I always shoot large files unless its something that will be viewed on nothing but web pages. Why not get the most out of everything rather than wish you would have later on? Easiest way to get more images on a card................buy a bigger card. They are cheap these days.

I am not a pro but I believe pros typically shoot in raw. What is so scary about shooting in raw? If you are too scared, you can always shoot in raw + jpeg. That way you will have both. memory cards are so cheap these days shooting in raw is not a problem.

Montana - thank you for answering my original question. I have read up on raw vs. jpeg, which is why I made the switch. My question was in regards to the different sizes. RAW was scary because I didn't have good converting software and didn't know how much time I would have to convert. I do now and realize that it doesn't take much time at all (if you compose the shot correctly in the first place).

Most reactions

Back