First time using a softbox..

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Might be doing a shoot with a friend pretty soon and I want to be prepared for it and planned on using this westcott apollo softbox with my flash (at least for a couple shots, closeups anyway).

Basically, I'm wondering if this is a result I should be going for? I had the flash/softbox above my daughter, and a little closer to the camera than 45 degrees... let's call it 30 degrees. I also had a reflector (silver) to her left side (camera right) to fill in shadows.

So, I didn't notice any bad specular highlights, but is there a lack of shadow and depth? Is that about right for catchlights?

Any help is appreciated!

5098392885_53b6783b45_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think it is well done. Come back to the 45 and you will get the catch lights in both eyes better

Ideally, I wish the catchlight in the eye on the right side of the photo were a little bit closer of a match to the one on the left side of the photo, which would look a bit more symmetrical and equal. The lighting ratio is quite low, probably due to the reflector efficiently providing fill, so her face does look a little bit flat....but you know what? A young child's face actually *is* rather flat...the nose is very small, compared to an adult, and their faces tend to be,well, rather flat...

You're right--there are no specular highlights on her skin. The lighting is very soft and diffused,and her skin looks like porcelain. With this soft of a lighting effect, it would be possible to "punch it up" in post, several notches, without blowing out anything. Most people would consider this fairly flattering lighting for a feminine subject.

Cant offer any "expert advice" since I dont really do this type of work very often, but to my eye her skin and features look very good, catchlights being uneven is the only thing as the others have said.

More a pat on the back comment than helpful sorry reznap.

RobNZ is off to google "specular highlights", lol. Ahh I see ;)

Alright, thanks for the replies. If her head were turned a bit more or the softbox moved a few inches I think the catchlights would have been perfect.. darn. In a few of the other pictures I took they were even, a few others were just like this. Definitely something I'll look out for in the future.

Most reactions

Back