Fish Portrait

Aquamojo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forum.aquamojo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This fish is one that I collected in Honduras last year. As of right now the fish is an undescribed species of cichlid in the Parachromis family. It looks ver similar to other fish in that family...mainly Managuense. Currently we are running DNA tests to determine if in fact it is a new species...or a naturally occuring hybrid.

This was shot with a Nikon D2x with a Nikkor 105mm Nikor macro lens. ISO was 250 @ 1/60th f13. I used the tank light along with a single source TTL flash angled down from the top of the tank. The flas was manually reduced by 1/3rd to ast as a fill.

P.Honduras.jpg

Good lighting, but the framing I think is pretty mediocre. The orange thing is the first thing i see and we can't see the back end of the fish.

why did you shoot f/13?!?!?! your losing sharpness, and i see what may be motion blur . . . if your at iso 250 1/60th at f/13 then you could have shot . . . like 1/400th at f/5.6 or somthing close to 1/400th anyways.

i kind of like your fill idea, however you have mixed colored light now . . . and i know its kind of cool, but i don't think it looks nearly as nice as uniformly colored light. some of what i might be mistaking for motion blur could be the distortion from the tank glass . . . i've encountered that before.

bravo on finding an unknown fish though wow . . . not everyday does that happen, and that makes this picture much more impressive since you are documenting somthing never before documented

At f5.6 my depth of field would be nil. I am shooting from about five feet from the subject. I've shot at that distance with an aperture like that and lost much more detail. For grins and giggles I will try that and see the difference.

Sw1tchFX...Seeing the back end of the fish would be inportant if I was using the photo for ID purposes. For what I use it for I prefer this approach. Loosing the clay pot would be preferred...but it is what it is.

As alway, everyones opinion is appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back