Flash advice & Questions

lostep3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get a flash, I have a Rebel Xti. What you recommend I get. Should I stick with a Canon flash 430ex or 430exII, how do other companies compare like Sunpak etc. I don't know much about flash, I just started reading some books on lighting. I won't to be able to use what ever flash I get off the camera, as a slave at some point to. Thanks

I'm looking to get a flash, I have a Rebel Xti. What you recommend I get. Should I stick with a Canon flash 430ex or 430exII, how do other companies compare like Sunpak etc. I don't know much about flash, I just started reading some books on lighting. I won't to be able to use what ever flash I get off the camera, as a slave at some point to. Thanks

Think of it as an investment... I was looking at the 430EX II as well, but I decided to go with the 580EX II instead.. mainly because it can be used as a master as well as a slave unit and was only $100 more.. just my opinion.

I would suggest the 580EX as well, or the 430EX if the first one is out of your budget.

Remember that the Canon flash was designed to do through the lens metering with the canon dslr's. I think that is what makes them worth the additional investment. As for the decision between the 430 and the 580, that depends. You can always start with a 430 (as I did) and use it as a slave with a 580 later if you get into flash photography more heavily. In addition to being less expensive, the 430 is smaller and lighter.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to get the 430exII. I wish I could just get the 580, but being in school puts that out of my budget. Thanks again for advice.

I don't see the 430 as a compromise -- it's an excellent unit. You are going to pay about $75 for the off-camera cord if I remember correctly.

No, you would need a cord or remote to fire either one off-camera. The difference is that the 580EX can be either a 'master' or a 'slave' (in Canon's wireless system)...while the 430EX can only be a 'slave'. This is really only an issue if you have two flash units, or the non-flash master unit, ST-E2.

No, you would need a cord or remote to fire either one off-camera. The difference is that the 580EX can be either a 'master' or a 'slave' (in Canon's wireless system)...while the 430EX can only be a 'slave'. This is really only an issue if you have two flash units, or the non-flash master unit, ST-E2.

Gotcha, that's what I thought. I know I will only have 1 flash for a while so the 430 seems like a better buy for me right now.

I have a 430 and it is a pretty good unit. The 580 is clearly a better unit but also a bit more expensive.

The 580 has better controls, it has a wheel on the back, rather than the crescent buttons that the 430 has. Although, I don't find that I'm pressing the buttons all that often.
The 580 has a built in bounce card. It's not a deal breaker for the 430 but it's a nice touch.
The 580 is more powerful, which is great in some situations but the 430 is pretty powerful itself and may be more than enough for you.

Most reactions

Back