Flash Brackets and Battery grips? BigMike!

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A lot of flash brackets bother me because the upright gets in the way of your shutter hand, The PressT and ProT (BigMike uses one of these) seem to eliminate this by moving the upright forward, but my question would be, when used in conjunction with a battery grip, can you still use the Shutter button on the grip comfortably, or is it blocked by the bracket.

Here is a photo of the setup, most of the battery grip is blocked, but the top portion with the shutter button seems like its pretty useable but I just Dont know. http://photo.net/bboard-uploads/00AfmB-21225784.jpg
and with a 1D http://photo.net/bboard-uploads/00At8R-21521384.jpg

Anyone here use this combination?

Those brackets have a bit of vertical travel to adjust the height. You should be able to clear the added 2" or so of a battery grip with no problems. I have the Strobframe VH 2000 mounted on my 40D body and it has enough travel to clear my EF 400mm f/2.8L.

I figured that the vertical would be okay especially with the taller "ProT", but when in flipped sideways in portrait configuration, and the bottom of the camera is now the right hand side grip, does the mounting plate and bottom of the bracket block the use of the grip/shutter button built in to the battery pack.(which is my main reason for wanting the grip)?

If you look at the pic in the second link, it looks like most of your hand would be blocked but you could get a few fingers i there. I was wondering is this was incredibly uncomfortable, or ok, maybe I should just buy it and find for myself, or are there any brackets that are better when it comes to grip use in portrait configuration?

I don't have a grip on my camera, so I'm not sure how the mounting plate will line up with the shutter release on the grip. I think that it would be OK.

As for comfort, that's a good question. The mounting plate will surely affect the grip but it might still be OK.

I don't have my bracket with me, otherwise I'd have a close look at it for you.

I think I know what you're asking.

I have a Stroboframe flash bracket...one of those standard ones. It was a pain in the butt before having a grip. With the battery grip attached, I can shoot easier in Portrait & Landscape modes. MUCH easier. That's one of my favorite things about the grip.

Most reactions

Back