Flash cord or bracket?

impressme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm doing a shoot tonight where I know I'm going to need to move my shoe mount for the right directional light. I really should get a few slaves but that just isn't in the budget right now. So I'm debating between a flash cord or a bracket. Any pros/cons between them? Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!

I'm doing a shoot tonight where I know I'm going to need to move my shoe mount for the right directional light. I really should get a few slaves but that just isn't in the budget right now. So I'm debating between a flash cord or a bracket. Any pros/cons between them? Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!

If you use a bracket you'll need one of these. Not my favorite setup, but when doing events like wedding receptions there really doesn't seem to be a better option without using assistants. For my bracket I use something like this, and I recommend changing out the hardware for a nice tight fit so the camera doesn't come loose while you're shooting.

When you use a bracket, you usually need a cord anyway...so it's not really and either/or situation.

I need to be more detailed in my wording... I guess I meant should I just purchase the cord (and then hand hold the flash) or spend the extra for the bracket as well.

A typical bracket is usually used to keep the flash right above the camera, even when you rotate the camera to portrait orientation. This is to avoid casting side shadows onto surfaces behind the subject. When the flash is directly above the camera, it casts the shadow behind and below the subject, so that the lens can't see it.
They are 'older' style brackets that simply hold the flash above and to the side. Not all that useful IMO.
If you need directional light, then a cord might be better than a bracket. Although, if you can just find a way to bounce the light, with the flash on the camera, that would probably be easiest.

With hand holding the flash on a cord, you have much more freedom of position for the flash, but you also loose the freedom of your left hand because it's always holding the flash...which would make it hard to zoom a lens or manual focus etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back