Flash on the D5200??

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to get a single flash unit to expand my creative options. The D5200 doesn't have built-in commander mode, which is tremendously disappointing. I'm wondering how I can go about setting up a flash that I can command wirelessly so I can hand-hold it, position it off the camera, etc? Money is definitely a factor.

Last edited:

DanielLewis76

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You can get remote triggers that clip to the top of the camera and on to the bottom of a flash unit thats work ok (cheapest around £20/$30). Or get a cable to go between the flash unit and the camera. I use the wireless version with a Nikon SB-800 but would probably get the SB-700 if I was getting a new flash unit.

OP
P

PaulWog

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
You can get remote triggers that clip to the top of the camera and on to the bottom of a flash unit thats work ok (cheapest around £20/$30). Or get a cable to go between the flash unit and the camera. I use the wireless version with a Nikon SB-800 but would probably get the SB-700 if I was getting a new flash unit.

So I suppose any which way I go, I'll have to add bulk to the top of my camera in order to use wireless flash. I was hoping I could keep the camera stream-line (since putting a flash on the top can be odd to some people, whereas holding a flash in hand looks a little cleaner).

shadowlands

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
If on a budget, try the SB-400. I see them for just under $100.00 and it does "bounce" (landscape orientation).
I was amazed at how well it worked.

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
If on a budget, try the SB-400. I see them for just under $100.00 and it does "bounce" (landscape orientation).
I was amazed at how well it worked.

they are okay if shooting indoors in a smaller room. I'll sell you mine.

OP
P

PaulWog

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm really looking for the best all-around option, with price-to-performance in mind, that will serve me well as a single flash that I can carry around in my bag, use on the go, use at home, etc. Ideally I'd have three-four flash units, an FX camera, and all the lenses I want... but I've got what's in my sig.

Most reactions