Flower on mute

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure where I was going with this. Experimenting with new editing styles. I've been in a bit of a photographic funk the last few months so I'm trying to reignite my fire by editing photos I never got to. My own critique, the highlights behind the flower cause it to lose definition from the BG.

Thoughts on the processing? Or the image in general?

Flower on mute by crimbfighter, on Flickr

Nice content by rather soft IMO...... The pros will hit ya up on it... I am just 5 mon ths into photography myself

Nice flower and I like the subtle colors, but I agree the background is a problem. You could try masking and darkening the background, but it would not look right unless you made it pretty much black. I don't know how well that would work.

Nice content by rather soft IMO...... The pros will hit ya up on it... I am just 5 mon ths into photography myself

Thanks for your comment, everybody's perspective helps, regardless of experience level. Even someone who's never held a camera can still have a valid opinion and tell you if they don't like something about a photo.

The flower itself, well the front plane of it anyway, is very sharp, but the shallow DOF gives it the feeling of being soft. I'd agree, it does feel soft overall, but I actually kinda like it that way on this image.

Nice flower and I like the subtle colors, but I agree the background is a problem. You could try masking and darkening the background, but it would not look right unless you made it pretty much black. I don't know how well that would work.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried once to selectively burn the highlights, but I'm honestly just not that good at it. I tried again this morning and using two different layers at varying opacities, I think it helped a little without looking obviously burned it.
Flower on mute 2 by crimbfighter, on Flickr

I like it but as noted it is a bit soft. Personally, I would drop the brightness a bit, boost the contrast just a tiny amount and apply an unsharp mask.

Ok, last rendition then I'm calling it.. I can't do much about the actual sharpness, because the point of focus is actually quite sharp. However, the narrow DOF makes it seem as though it's soft because there isn't much that's actually in focus... I think I helped that, though, with a couple selective radial filters that adjust the contrast and bring out the darks, giving the illusion of sharpness though added detail.

Flower on mute 3 by crimbfighter, on Flickr

I honestly like the first one the best. I liked the overall tone and I think the softness worked for the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back