focus mode for modeling photoshoot

!whiteshadow2015

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new I just purchased a mirror less camera I am big into the auto scene and go to shows where they have models going around posing with the cars. What focus mode should I use to capture this shot? My camera has a mode called autofocus flexible where I can select the focal point would this be the ideal option. The camera I have is the Sony A6000

What shot? Did you mean to include an example ?

I would think you want to focus on the model so you need to be in Focus Mode AFS and Focus Area of Flexible Spot M. This allows you to select the focus point that you want, which you may be referring to as "autofocus flexible".

You'll want to review your Aperture / Depth of Field based upon your distance to make sure you get what you want in focus.
You could put the focus point on the model. But if your DOF is too small the front of the car will be out of focus.
Though you may also select an Aperture, then select a focus point half way between the front of the car and the model - with the correct Aperture you can get both (dependent upon distance of model, etc).

I believe this info is correct as I don't have a A6000. Someone with one should be able to chime in.

OK thanks. When would I use AFC. I know if I'm shooting a car around the track and people on bikes for sure. but sometimes these models are constantly moving they will hold a pose for maybe 5 seconds and that's being very generous. I guess at what point would I switch from AFS to AFC

Shoot before the model moves if you like the pose.
Or wait until another pose.
The AFC is continuous shoot. So you'll capture a bunch of images if you keep the button down.

You'll want your shutter speed high enough to stop any minor movement even if the model is standing there, probably at least 1/125.

ok cool. Right now I have the kit 16-50 lens and I have a 50mm 1.8 lens. I originally bought the camera as I'm taking my daughter to some theme parks for her bday IM trying to shoot everything to get the expierence but now I really love shooting.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats, the a6000 is an awesome camera!
astroNikon is spot on. The best mode for these kind of shots on the a6000 is called AF-S (Single-Shot Autofocus) and for Focus Area I like Flexible Spot: M or S best.
Car shows have different lighting conditions. If the light is rather low, you may have no other choice than using a smaller Aperture Number to keep the image quality high. You will have less depth of focus, but also less noise.
The 50mm f1.8 is a good choice - shoot it wide open and you´ll get nicely blurred backgrounds.
Make use of the enormous frames per second of this camera. If the model moves while you take the image, one of the 11 frames per second might still be sharp ;).
The 50mm lens also has a good stabilizer so you might be able to go lower than the 1/125th astroNikon suggested. You should understand though, that this only helps prevent camera shake. Not motion blur from the movement of the model.

focus mode for modeling photoshoot

No offense but if your asking this question you are not ready for a a real photoshoot. But luckily based on your post it definitely sounds like this is not an actual photoshoot, it just sounds like you are going to a to a car show and taking your camera along with you.

I sagest trying out the different focus modes that your camera offers and learn how each of them act. You will learn the most this way.

All of the above is great advice.....I use the Sony A6000 and for most shoots I'm in AF-S but I'm using strobes and the models are not moving...What others mentioned is exactly right... if the models are moving you will need a fast enough shutter speed to give a sharp image and then you will want to be in AF-C, you can always raise the ISO a bit if the lighting is not great.

You could also go in to custom key settings and set a key for eye auto focus and shoot the models like that. You can also use face registration then if the place is crawling with people the a6000 will find the models face and focus there and will track her if she moves. If you do shoot AFC you can change the speed so your not firing off 11 frames per second every time you take a shot. Above is correct on Aperture and Shutter Speed, you can also adjust the cameras white balance depending on lighting or conditions.

Just focus on the person's eyes. It doesn't matter how you get there as long as the eyes are in focus.

Most reactions

Back