Focus on a DSLR vs. a point-and-shoot

Good to know @wanderer86. This may be a complex question to answer, but let's say I wanted to sharpen up the Italy picture. I still want the buildings in the foreground to be the focal point, but I'd like the hills to come out a bit cleaner so as not to be distractingly blurry when viewed at 100% on my computer screen. How could I compensate?

Would stopping down do the trick, or is there more involved? To me, the blur in the Italy shot seems a bit more messy than a natural loss of focus due to a larger aperture.

Good to know @wanderer86. This may be a complex question to answer, but let's say I wanted to sharpen up the Italy picture. I still want the buildings in the foreground to be the focal point, but I'd like the hills to come out a bit cleaner so as not to be distractingly blurry when viewed at 100% on my computer screen. How could I compensate?

Would stopping down do the trick, or is there more involved? To me, the blur in the Italy shot seems a bit more messy than a natural loss of focus due to a larger aperture.

Stopping down might help - however when your looking at objects that far away you often run into a lack of sharpness due to atmospheric haze.

There are a few ways this can be compensated for at least somewhat, the above is handy photoshop tutorial that might help.

Most reactions

Back