What's new

Focus Test Chart with Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM (no IS) problem?

Ciphershot

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 11, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi everybody,

First post ! ;-)

I just bought the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM (no IS) from Amazon to use on my 50D after reading so many positive reviews of this L lens.
The last few days I tested the lens, but I was not really happy with the results. According to most reviews on the net, this lens is supposed to be very sharp, which however I could not confirm on my pictures.

So I searched the net and found this focus test chart. I set everything up and tested the lens. You can see the results on my photostream.
Here is the picture taken at f4.0 from a distance of 1.2m.

photostream

If it doesn't show, you can see it here on Flickr : Focus Test Chart with Canon EF 4L 70-200mm USM on Canon 50D @ f4.0 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

While the the center point where the focus lies is mostly sharp, the front (left side) is way more blurred than the back (right side).

Is it normal to get such a difference in DOF? Or did I get a bad lens?

I will probably send the lens back in a few days, but I wanted to hear some opinions before ordering another one...

Thank you !
 
???

You shot it from really close with F/4.. yes your DOF will be shallow. That is what you want. Make your aperture f/8 or f/11 i bet everything will more in focus.

The fuzzines of something that is closer to you will be different than something that is farther from you. For example a line that is farther should be thinner, line that is closer should be thicker.
 
I don't have the lens and I am no expert in optics, but I think the left-right side difference might be a result of the lens not being at 45 degrees from the test chart. It's also not lined up perfectly so the top and bottom is also blurred a bit differently.
 
If you are shooting that close, its hard to get more depth of field. You have to be farther.
 
Well actually I'm not looking for more DOF in this case... But shouldn't the focus scale be sharp throughout, front and back, at f/16? I still see a blurry 3 in front at f/16... That is why I'm doubting the quality of this lens...
 
Depth of field relates to focus. Whatever within the depth of field should be in focus. On your sample the 3 is not in the depth of field. The moral of the story is, there is probably nothing wrong with your lens.
 
Dont forget you DOF wont be exact both in front and behind your focal point.
10z3d3m.jpg


Thats why the left side has more blur than the right.
 
Just go out and take photos instead of wasting your time with those silly focus charts the 70-200 is a great lens
 
That was my plan for tomorrow... ;-)

Btw, do you use a UV-Filter on this lens ?
 
I have one on only because it get abuse when shooting events and sport

Here's a few taken with it
1112120058_ysQYS-L.jpg


868758937_B4qoh-L.jpg


728230557_sFyZT-L.jpg
 
I don't have the lens and I am no expert in optics, but I think the left-right side difference might be a result of the lens not being at 45 degrees from the test chart. It's also not lined up perfectly so the top and bottom is also blurred a bit differently.

Diz-actly! You do not have the chart lined up properly to test side-to-side sharpness. What you are seeing is normal depth of field. The lens is fine. It is the testing procedure that is wonky.
 
Actually the test looks pretty well done setup wise - the only problem is that the OP has slightly miss interpreted the results and the specific effect that the test is trying to achive. In this focus test the idea is that the auto focus (middle point) is used to focus the shot and the you take the photo - the idea being to ensure that the point you set the AF to focus upon is in focus and that the point of focus isn't infront of or behind the point you've focused upon. This then ensures that lens and camera are focusing correctly (and provided AF was used this looks to be the cast with this lens).

The depth if field of the shot is (in this case) neither here nor there (as has been said). Far as I can tell then from this test is that (like the others) I can't see anything wrong with this lens at all - now go forth and shoot! :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom