Foggy churchyard

tb2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A shot from this morning in St Swithun's churchyard, Bicker, Lincolnshire, as the sun began to burn its way through the fog.

Tony

For more info go to: http://photoreflect.blogspot.com/2008/02/dedications-and-weather.html

Foggy-churchyard.jpg

did you leave it crooked on purpose?

i love the picture though. its awesome!!! :thumbsup:

I don't see that the photo is crooked. The trees and church tower are all straight. The crosses may be leaning after all those years, as well as the graves, and there is a bit of a hill, but the photo as such is not crooked. I wouldn't think so.

And the very fact that the crosses are leaning, in addition to the fog and glow of an early sun make this photo so interesting! Too bad that there are no old cemeteries in Germany, apart from those big ones in the cities which have already acquired some outdoor museum character and where the old graves of famous persons of the history of the city may no longer be taken away or changed.There is no chance for me to even try and take a similarly "atmospheric" photo in any of the villages round here. After 25 - 30 years, the graves simply get replaced by new ones, unless the people buy another lease for another 25 - 30 years, but after that you may be sure they are gone and replaced by a new grave with a modern headstone.

Fantastic.
The leaning crosses add a lot.

Dani.

i feel like im leaning. maybe its just a sloped terrain even though the building is straight?

I absolutely adore fog and this photo captures a lot of what I love about it. It's fairly unique to see fog and a graveyard looks so warm and hopeful, very nice!

it does look crooked but it is due to the uneven land...great shot though, I like the feel the picture gives...kind creepy and eerie like a grave should be!

Thanks for the comments all. Yes, there is a bit of a slope there, but it's in the terrain. The gravestones lean due to frost-heave and subsidence because of the weight of stone. So too, do many medieval churches!

The gravestones, Corinna, in the churchyards of English medieval churches rarely date from the 1500s, often from the 1600s, frequently from the 1700s, and there are many from the C19 and C20. The oldest gravestones are preserved and protected by the churches. They are an interesting historical record, much used by historians and genealogists.

Regards, Tony

Most reactions

Back