Foggy photos

nana3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D5100 and even though I have had this camera for sometime now, I still don't know anything about it. I read other's thread and hear aperture and shutter speed etc. I am still learning. I do have a question. When I have the camera in my house and go outside to take a photo, the lens fogs up and then my photo is also foggy. Is there a way to prevent this? It usually happens from cold to warm area.

Attachments

• yellow trumpet tree.jpg
    yellow trumpet tree.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 130
  • yellow trumpet tree 2.jpg
    yellow trumpet tree 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 124
This happens with glasses too.
Is there a way to prevent it? Keep your camera outside at all times ?
No, not really. you'll have to give your camera time to adjust to the quick changes in temp/humidity.

As stated above no real way to prevent this, only way is to deal with it.
I always keep a lens cloth with me because while the lens is fogged it can pick up fine dust and debris. Waiting for the lens to clear then gently blowing (with a bulb) or removing with a cloth any debris is about all you can do.

you could try hitting your lens with a hairdryer before going outside to warm it up quickly.

I've been affected by this too running outside to take a quick pic of aircraft only to find out my lens fogged up. I might try the hairdryer next time I know of it possibly occurring.

edit: not actually hitting your lens, but using a hot setting to warm up the lens. As the outside elements are cool, and going outside to a hot/humid environment they are affected. I don't know how the internal elements are affected though. Your mirror is probably affected too, prism, sensor. I checked over my camera last time it happened .. it wasn't just the lens.

Thank you so much everyone.

I just checked your location. I wish I had that "problem" ;). It hardly ever happens to me. As you know it has to do with temperature PLUS there is another factor: humidity.
I suppose your house/appartment has air condition. If you have a room that hasn't, or has a higher temperature setting, I'd store the camera there. I know people have concerns the camera might be stored too humid, but since I don't live in such a regions, I don't know much about that. Perhaps others have some experience, but I have yet to hear about somebodys camera that has had problems due to that.
The reason why this never really happens to me is because I like it warm. When I go on vacation, or travel photography in the tropics, I hardly ever use AC and if I do, I set it to around 27°C.
The effect is called condensation btw. and is the same that happens with your beer when you take it out of the fridge. It can't be avoided other than not putting your beer in the fridge ;).

I just checked your location. I wish I had that "problem" ;). It hardly ever happens to me. As you know it has to do with temperature PLUS there is another factor: humidity.
I suppose your house/appartment has air condition. If you have a room that hasn't, or has a higher temperature setting, I'd store the camera there. I know people have concerns the camera might be stored too humid, but since I don't live in such a regions, I don't know much about that. Perhaps others have some experience, but I have yet to hear about somebodys camera that has had problems due to that.
The reason why this never really happens to me is because I like it warm. When I go on vacation, or travel photography in the tropics, I hardly ever use AC and if I do, I set it to around 27°C.
The effect is called condensation btw. and is the same that happens with your beer when you take it out of the fridge. It can't be avoided other than not putting your beer in the fridge ;).
I've had problems due to that. Going from inside Air Conditioning to outside hot and humid the lens (at least the 2 outside elements), mirror, sensor, prism all get frosted over. Very irritating.

Most reactions

Back