Food with available fixed lighting

Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A bit of a stubborn type project of late...

The goal was to find an available spot in the kitchen that didn't require too much clean up to shoot food fast enough to still have a hot supper :drool:

No additional reflectors or lights otherwise I might as well set up in the studio :sexywink:

The cupboards were a bit bare of garnishes but it was more about the lighting anyway..

Two CF bulbs in a track camera left and one in a shade camera right, both sources on the ceiling behind the plate.

Goulash..

Goulash-1.jpg

Pizza...

Pizza.jpg

Fried chicken and spring rolls with sweet and sour sauce but with the addition of a flash bounced off the ceiling..

Friedchicken-1.jpg

Yummmm....

Conclusions > specular hightlights are too distracting in the first two shots, better on the last with a flash but best to shoot this with a proper set up in the studio, sigh.. .

Cheers, Don

Yes, the lighting on the first two shots is somewhat distracting. The pizza does not look well lighted. The last photo though has an appealing look to the lighting.

I agree with Christie. The first one has some character to it, as well as a great DOF.

The second shot is lacking light, and the DOF is just not catching my eye and showing off the ingredients and of the pizza.

The third is just missing that "pop". I think if you had more lighting from the top of the dish it would carry some character as well as make the meal stand out.

All in all, for a limited time frame and limited supplies........... Good job!

Yes, the lighting on the first two shots is somewhat distracting. The pizza does not look well lighted. The last photo though has an appealing look to the lighting.

Thanks Derrel,

I think the results from bare bulbs are what is to be expected. On the pizza shot the dullness is my attempt to tone down the specular highlights on the cheese, it still looks greasy :)

Conclusions > specular hightlights are too distracting in the first two shots...

Oh, I don't know... I like the first one best. It has some 'life" to it.

Conclusion> I think you could, however, use a decent recipe for goulash.

-Pete

Ah but, the test is in the tasting :)

I agree with Christie. The first one has some character to it, as well as a great DOF.

The second shot is lacking light, and the DOF is just not catching my eye and showing off the ingredients and of the pizza.

The third is just missing that "pop". I think if you had more lighting from the top of the dish it would carry some character as well as make the meal stand out.

All in all, for a limited time frame and limited supplies........... Good job!

Thank you.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back