For nature photos--GoPro-type camera, Canon or both? (Would like to buy today)

bny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I'm very much a noob (just having come into it about 7 yrs ago w/ a canon point and shoot.) I'm trying to decide whether to buy a digital camera or an action/sports/go pro-type of camera or both.

When it comes to a regular, digital camera I'm btwn a Canon s110 and a Canon sx50 hd (they were recommended as good choices for buying refurbished.)

As for a GoPro-type camera, I'm not sure which to choose.

Uses: along w/ portraits of the pooch and family, nature photos--esp. animals.

Must: living in the desert, light can be searingly bright during the day...however...I prefer to keep the house fairly dim and like taking nature walks anywhere from 6 to 9 pm (animals are so startled by flashes, so it would be a big plus to find a camera that takes very good pics w/o one.)

Desired qualities: video--esp. good if it could record about an hour continuously (hd a plus), long zoom (or pics/video clear enough to be zoomed via photo software), quality audio (possibly picking up sounds as much as 30 ft away), fairly compact/light weight, quick to use, fairly easy to use, manual functions/custom-ability.

It would be nice, but not too disappointing if...
It could be used for amateur astronomy/macro shots and if it had some of the convenience and built-in capabilities of a point-and-shoot. Also, image stabilization.

Should be: able to perform at least as well as an iPhone.

Well...that's a start of what I'm hoping for:1247:

I'm hoping to buy one, the other or both today.

Thanks so much!

Sounds like you want the best of everything in one simple easy to use camera (don't we all).
I'm not sure one exists but that all depends upon your own criteria and definitions.

GoPro-wise, For action sports I just purchased a Polaroid XS100 action camera for video through Amazon. It doesn't stick up as much as a GoPro and came with a bunch of mounting equipment and can record up to 4 hours (haven't gotten anywhere near that amount yet, still testing).

Up until the sports action camera I was using a regular Nikon Point & Shoot attached to the handlebars of my mountain bike. No real problem except it was very old and I wanted something that didn't stick up so much and was water resistant, etc.

This thread may help you between the two cameras => SX50 vs G15 vs S110 - what am I giving up Canon PowerShot Talk Forum Digital Photography Review

Most reactions

Back