For the Love of Photography

Deon Reynolds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.deonreynolds.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the definition of photography? Simply put, a light sensitive mechanical process to create an image. That is an incredibly broad scope of thoughts and ideas that come together from a number of differing directions with one purpose, to create an image. It doesn’t say anywhere it needs to be digital or analog and it doesn’t need to be made with brand “X” camera or even with a camera at all for that matter. The image or print is of no specified size or quality either, but is the objective. So, what makes the best photograph and is this even important? What is photographic quality? Quality, is certainly going to be interpreted by the viewer and everyone will have diverging opinions at this point. Personally, I think it’s so simple, keep an open mind, don’t let prejudices get in the way. That should be foremost in your mind when viewing photography.

After reading some recent posts, I was shocked to see some hateful words within. I grew up taught, "If you can't say anything nice, don't anything at all". With that in mind we should come together to celebrate the diverse opportunities photography has to offer. I love all forms of photography, I don’t look at digital or analog as if one is better than the other. I shoot everything and love it all. When I’m out looking to create images, I’m usually stopped by some graphic element discovered along my path. My brain is thinking, what can I do with these shapes? What ideas or thoughts am I trying to convey? Pre-visualizing the final image then guides me to what equipment I need to accomplish what I have in my head. Sometimes that’s the hard part, turning what’s in my head into a finished object. That’s where sharing ideas with one another helps so much.

Deon
www.deonreynolds.com

Last edited:
The wordphotography” literally means “drawing with light”. The word was supposedly first coined by the British scientist Sir John Herschel in 1839 from the Greek words phos, (genitive: phōtós) meaning “light”, and graphê meaning “drawing or writing”.

I think sometimes we're far to analytical about photography and the why's and wherefores. Instead, take it for what it is and enjoy it (mostly:)).

I've never been a believer in the "If you can't say anything nice, don't anything at all" train of thought. The world is not always a nice place and often words and language need to reflect or combat this. Folks nowadays are far too easily offended imo, indeed some proactively go looking to be offended or are offended on behalf of others. We've lost the place.

Most reactions

Back