What's new

Fort Worth Zoo - Lion

Wowa that is some very strong magenta in the photo
 
No, single exposure - medium format Fuji Pro 160S (exposed at 100). (220 film, f/8, 80mm - I don't remember what the shutter speed was. I shot this in aperture priority mode.)

Do I need to recalibrate my monitor...? I don't see strong magenta... Anyone else see it?
 
Last edited:
The rocks are kinda magenta, but I think they're just that color... The colors look pretty accurate to me. The lion doesn't seem to be overly magenta on my monitor.

Not saying it's not overly magenta - but if it is, I need to recalibrate.
 
I'd give recalibration a try - unless the rocks are messing with my view and hold a very strong tint themselves then something just seems a bit off with this photo.
 
It's also possible that it's because my C-41 developer is beyond it's rated capacity... It's only a few rolls over capacity though.

edit
I see it on some of the other scans. I guess it's time to dump my C-41 chems and buy a new kit...
 
Last edited:
It looks magenta here too, even in the darker areas of the lion's coloring.
 
Is this multiple exposure?
Already answered your question, but now I'm wondering what made you ask. What was it about this that said multiple exposure to you?

If it was the dynamic range, all I have to say about that is that color negative film is like HDR with every shot compared to digital. :lol:
 
It's gotta be my C-41 kit... Looking at older scans, I don't see it. This shot doesn't look bad to me, but others off the same roll do look a little magenta to me.
 
OK - So, enough people have said that it has a magenta cast that I no longer doubt it. Now I wonder 'how much'?

This one looks magenta to me: (The shadows and skin tones have a very definite magenta cast to me.)

2012041805 by J E, on Flickr

How does that one compare to the one of the lion? ...Trying to figure out if it's my monitor, my chemicals, or both.

The one of the lion looks "right" to me, mostly.
 
Last edited:
Is this multiple exposure?
Already answered your question, but now I'm wondering what made you ask. What was it about this that said multiple exposure to you?

If it was the dynamic range, all I have to say about that is that color negative film is like HDR with every shot compared to digital. :lol:

Well first of all I'm still a noob, but specifically it looks like there is a nice tonal range, not any shadow or highlight clipping. I guess you just have a nice choice of exposure. I could be wrong though. To prove it I'll ask: what is color negative film? XD I was looking through your flikr and see most of your photos have a similar look, I like it. Are you shooting in film?
 
Last edited:
Is this multiple exposure?
Already answered your question, but now I'm wondering what made you ask. What was it about this that said multiple exposure to you?

If it was the dynamic range, all I have to say about that is that color negative film is like HDR with every shot compared to digital. :lol:

Well first of all I'm still a noob :), but specifically it looks like there is a nice tonal range, not any shadow or highlight clipping. I guess you just have a nice choice of exposure. I could be wrong though.
I shot this in aperture priority - so the camera chose the shutter speed.

I think what you're seeing is a combination of a few things. For one, it was in open shade - so the light was diffused (notice the lack of any hard edged shadows). Two, the medium I shot it one has more range than most digital sensors, so not as much (shadows/highlights) got clipped. Really, I don't think anything got clipped on that shot.
 
I'd say the magenta cast in the second shot is maybe a tiny bit stronger than in the lion, but they both still have the magenta cast.

That said I just had a mess around in photoshop - reducing magenta saturation only left an odd effect where many areas looked grey where the magenta had been lost (and photoshop was showing magenta everywhere). Then I messed around in levels/curves and - I'm not sure what I did exactly, but I used the black dipper tool on a spot just above the lions nose (literally I think a tiny greyish looking pixel) and got this:
Untitled-1-2.jpg

on the chart. I've not really played with manually adjusting the colour channels myself, but that gave what I felt was a more normal looking colour. I could show you the edited version if you want.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom