Freelance work for Events/ Legal & Print Advice

cantact NAPP they may have an answer. In NJ the event organizer has the right to permit = control and handle prints--photographer is oftenpaid for their time and photos in bulk, others are givena percentof sale--ie the photographer.

I did photography at a local event this summer. It was a brand new event to the area and the organizer was looking for someone to photograph it. The person stated he didn't have the money to pay to pay for it, so I did only 1 hour of it (and 100 photos) but only gave him 10 with my name on them in areas so that if he wanted to try and cut them off and sell them on me unexpectedly he would ruin the photos. I told him they could only be used on his site to promote the event. Good thing I did it this way since when I got there, there was 5 other people doing photography for him as well as a beer trailer and a live band on site. (And yet he couldn't afford to pay someone to take photos?) Funny part was, when I checked out his event web site I saw that all the other photos from that day from the other people were for being sale (over 400 photos) and none were mine since I put my name on them. By doing this he could not turn around and make money off of my photos and not get paid for it. I also advised him when I gave him the cd with the 10 prints that I will not be back next year and don't contact me to do it either. Word of wisdom to everyone: Sometimes it pays to follow your gut instinct. By me doing this, I got some more experience at event photography but also didn't lose out on lost revenue.

Most reactions

Back