What's new

Freeway shot from bridge, Practicing Shutter Speeds.

GabrielH87

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 29, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It helps to post the actual images here so we can see them, and not have to link to them.

The first image looks good. I would have turned the camera a bit to the left, but that's just me. I can't get the second image to load.
 
nightshot.jpg
 
what were your settings? I like #1
 
not a bad start. yup messing with the shutter speed and taking long exposure shots of highways can be quite fun
 
nice pictures. you caught an airplane up in the sky
 
Shot 1: Auto exposure, 32 sec, f/18, ISO 100, Compensation: +7/3

Shot 2: Auto exposure, 12.3 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100, Compensation: +4/3

OP, shot 1 turned out much better than shot 2. Keep in mind that aperture is the opening of the lens diaphragm. Closed down to f/ 18, the light hits the sensor at a much more stinted rate which is good for this kind of photography. When you shot at f/6.3 there were brighter areas and not as much definition in the light trails. I'd shoot on f/11 or smaller for these kind of shots to yield a good result. If I remember correctly the T2i either has a custom function, or can go to ISO 50 by default. Find out which it is, and keep in mind that you can use ISO 50 to get you a longer shutter speed than you would at f/18 because it is less sensitive to light than at ISO 100.
 
love the hues in the sky from your first shot
 
If I remember correctly the T2i either has a custom function, or can go to ISO 50 by default. Find out which it is, and keep in mind that you can use ISO 50 to get you a longer shutter speed than you would at f/18 because it is less sensitive to light than at ISO 100.

Expanded ISO range for it is only 100-12800; only grows higher. No 50 available.

By f/11 you'll already be taking a hit in sharpness, so I wouldn't want to go much past that. Diffraction limit for 550D is about f/11.3 if I remember correctly, and your lens will be getting a good deal softer by then too.
If you want it long have a look at picking up a ND filter.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom