Fuji camera's film simulations

The x-S10 compares directly to the Z50 and beats it in most places on paper. The biggest for me is IBIS, which reduces the size/bulk of lenses (if they would actually make them) and works better than VR imho (works in conjunction with "VR" lenses).

I see no reason to stay loyal to "Playing From Behind" Nikon just for the ability to use big heavy lenses with an adapter. Which is one of the reasons I want to change systems in the first place.

I can buy the kit 16-80mm f/4 and have nearly the same coverage of my 24-70 and 70-200--in a smaller/lighter package. I wouldn't even want the slow Nikon kit lenses. f/6.3 @ 50mm????

Also, have you not read me rant about how much I dislike Nikon as of late?

One of the biggest reasons I was a Nikon fan was their DR and sensor technology. Well once Sony come out with the A7, everything changed. Then Nikon decided to go to the 20MP APS-C sensor, that IMHO isn't that great.

It's been pretty obvious since ~2006 when I bought my D40 they have no intention of being cutting-edge trend-setters, but instead do the least amount of improvements/advancements as possible, wait for Canon to release a camera, then spec theirs slightly better with minimal improvements, while at the same time removing other features that made them better (like what they did to the D7500 released after the D500). I remember replacing the D40 with the D3100 (not knowing better back then) for the extra MPs and finding out the camera lacked many of the features the D40 offered.

And don't get me started on the absolute **** menu system they had used since day one.

Anyway, I'm up for a change, and I hear nothing but good things from Fuji owners/reviewers. :)

different people have different tastes .. technically I agree with some points but overall I just like Nikon and favour that over other brands and there's nothing wrong with that ... I don't have so huge experience with other cameras, I am not Ken Rockwell or whoerver else like that but based on what I've already seen and what I've experienced I have completely no problem with Nikon in the meaning of ergomics (well, that rant about menu is obviously very subjective, personally I do consider Fuji menu as less-intuitive and awkward sometimes) .. I do own Nikon cameras, Fuji and some Canon .. I almost don't know from the field Sony and Panasonic (Lumix)

your other complains about removing features and waiting for canon what they will release and so on is imho a bit unfair .. current lineup of Nikon cameras are considered as one of the best cameras on the market by wide range of sources so cameras like D850, Z5/6/7 are top notch .. it's sure that almost every brand has some wtf cameras like overpriced D500 which should probably compete with lighter aps-c Fuji or Lumix cameras or totally ridiculously backwards meh cameras D5/6 (20MP for $6K, lol)

You have right for strong opinions but it's your subjective personal matter and the stronger your opinions sound, the less relevant they are for the other ppl

your other complains about removing features and waiting for canon what they will release and so on is imho a bit unfair .

It's not unfair; they've been doing it for many years. It was always a running joke that once Canon announced a new 7D or 5D model, Nikon would announce their new direct competition model spec just slightly better.

I'm just no longer in love with Nikon. They are NOT leaders of the pack, but followers. So late to the Mirrorless game, and really don't offer anything the other companies have been doing for many years now. EVERYONE is playing catch up to Sony.

I really didn't mean to shift this thread this direction. I'm really curious about the fujifilm stuff right now; as In my research they are highly reviewed. The OOB JPGs being one thing that's drawn me in.

Last edited:
Reactions: ntz
It's not unfair; they've been doing it for many years. It was always a running joke that once Canon announced a new 7D or 5D model, Nikon would announce their new direct competition model spec just slightly better.

I'm just no longer in love with Nikon. They are NOT leaders of the pack, but followers. So late to the Mirrorless game, and really don't offer anything the other companies have been doing for many years now. EVERYONE is playing catch up to Sony.

I really didn't mean to shift this thread this direction. I'm really curious about the fujifilm stuff right now; as In my research they are highly reviewed. The OOB JPGs being one thing that's drawn me in.

fair point ... thank you for sharing your opinions

Hello,

I would like to remain technical so I would like to show some real life example .. I am attaching 3 files, those are photos from camera and they are all downscaled to 6MP and exported with little more compression (it's invisible \wo pixel peeping) just to have them small, they are

1) out of camera JPG with ACROS-R

DSCF4075-6mp.JPG

2) my manual edit from raw and conversion to B&W

DSCF4075-6mp-edit.JPG

3) and finally the JPG exported directly from raw before any modification

DSCF4075_colour-rt-exp-6MP.JPG

conclusion:

the FujiFilm simulation out-of-camera JPG just doesn't look very good and it needs further modification ...

This is my the most recent image ...

regards, dan

ps. for the best effect please click on photo and it will pop up in floating window and you can use left/right arrows to switch between attachments

yeah not the greatest B&W conversion. I use a lot of color film presets in LR today.

Attachments

• 1626279342057.png
    1626279342057.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 1626279483573.png
    1626279483573.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
Hello,

I would like to remain technical so I would like to show some real life example .. I am attaching 3 files, those are photos from camera and they are all downscaled to 6MP and exported with little more compression (it's invisible \wo pixel peeping) just to have them small, they are

View attachment 246326

View attachment 246327

View attachment 246328

conclusion:

the FujiFilm simulation out-of-camera JPG just doesn't look very good and it needs further modification ...

regards, dan

ps. for the best effect please click on photo and it will pop up in floating window and you can use left/right arrows to switch between attachments
They both look great to me.

After futzing around with Fuji film sims for a few years, I simply put favorite recipes+notes in cookbooks stuffed into my Fuji bags. Back-ups on a iPad.

Hello,

View attachment 246326

View attachment 246327

View attachment 246328

conclusion:

regards, dan

Well, I am going to be brutally honest here. The first thing I see in this sample is that it is not exposed optimally in camera. This scene would have benefited from flash fill on the subject. I would have been in manual mode, spot metered the glass, focused on the lady's eye, and popped the onboard flash or had an external flash and bounced off the wall or ceiling. The onboard flash works real nice as long as you take off any hoods for the shot. The flash would have added depth to the image. Now, maybe this image is not a good example of what your generally talking about but in this sample, your simply not going to to be able to craft a dimensional out of camera jpeg image without the use of the flash. You may or may not be aware that the camera has a leaf shutter and flash will sync at any shutter speed. This is a great feature of the camera series. I would say that 75% of my images I take with mine, flash is used.

Last edited:
Well, I am going to be brutally honest here. The first thing I see in this sample is that it is not exposed optimally in camera. This scene would have benefited from flash fill on the subject. I would have been in manual mode, spot metered the glass, focused on the lady's eye, and popped the onboard flash or had an external flash and bounced off the wall or ceiling. The onboard flash works real nice as long as you take off any hoods for the shot. The flash would have added depth to the image. Now, maybe this image is not a good example of what your generally talking about but in this sample, your simply not going to to be able to craft a dimensional out of camera jpeg image without the use of the flash. You may or may not be aware that the camera has a leaf shutter and flash will sync at any shutter speed. This is a great feature of the camera series. I would say that 75% of my images I take with mine, flash is used.
this was 100% casual photo that I did without lady's previous agreement of even arranging that scene .. I just returned glass with left hand and did a shot with my right hand ... lady didn't see offended when I approached her with the camera ..

I didn't show this because of some special artistic value of the photo, I did show this to demonstrate the strength and weakeness of out-of-camera JPEG from fuji camera

if you will check the EXIF you could be able to see that I've used ISO 1000 and AP 8, I was shooting in the sunny daylight and set these two settings just exactly for the purpose of this photo (ISO 1000 because I expected that there is not enough light and I will need a mid AP just to have a reasonable DoF - I wanted hand with glass not completely blurred)

X100V...I shoot in raw monochrome, manual focus, high red peaking highlights. Mostly spot meter and use EC alot. Mostly shoot in Aperture priority. I have everything set to defaults. I access q button for flash settings. I mostly use the optical viewfinder when I street shoot. I convert everything in camera, to any simulation I envision, I even make minor tweaks and crops in camera. I never sharpen, normally it is exposure and shadow bumps Voice memo is very handy. It's my favorite digital camera and keeps me off the PC. If I could only have 1 digital camera, this would be it. On a side note, I had a very difficult time choosing between this and the Leica Q.
Me too! X1ooT

Most reactions

Back