Fungi from Ground Level

Actinia

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I managed to get into the local woods yesterday to photograph fungi. These were all taken by placing the camera on the ground (protected by some bubble-wrap) or on a gorilla pod.

#1 Lilac Bonnet
Mycena_puraMerge800.jpg

The Lilac Bonnet, Mycena pura, is probably the commonest mushroom in my local wood. This one was about 10cm (4in) high.

#2 Clouded Agaric
Clitocybe_nebulosaMerge800.jpg

The Clouded Funnelcap, Clitocybe nebulosa, is probably the second commonest mushroom. It is about 15cm across (7in). This one was on a slope, so I used the gorilla pod to get to the right level.

#3 Whitelaced Shank
LogFungusMyMerge800.jpg

I think that this is the Whitelaced Shank, Megacollybia platyphylla. It is about 12cm (5in) high. This one was growing on a log, so again, I used the gorilla pod to get level.

#4 Candle-snuff fungus
Xylaria_hypoxylonMerge800.jpg

These Candlesnuff fungi, Xylaria hypoxylon, were each about 2cm (1in) high. They were growing on a flat piece of dead wood.

All of these were taken using a combination of ambient light and one to three LED light panels. The aperture was set at f/18, and the exposure varied from 1/15 to 1/5 second, using ISO 800 and an exposure bias of -1. I used a remote to trigger the exposure to minimise any shake. My Sony A55 has an LCD that twists round so that I can lay it flat on the ground, along with the camera, and see what is being taken. I tried to focus on the stipe (the stalk) if possible.

C & C welcome.

Last edited:
Great shots, I really need to practice these kind of shots.

Those LED lights seem to work quite well. The colors look about what I would expect to see (not so much the fungi, but the logs and leaves anyway). How do the colors look to you?

Those LED lights seem to work quite well. The colors look about what I would expect to see (not so much the fungi, but the logs and leaves anyway). How do the colors look to you?

I had previously photographed a standard grey card with the LED lights, and checked the white balance in ACR. They seem to give a pretty good imitation of daylight.

nice angle and they give me a fairytail like feeling

I have amended the provisional identification for #3. The one I think it might be (Whitefaced Shank) does actually grow on dead wood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back