funny night pics

cipher1729

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am very new to photography and as u might be able to see from these pictures, know next to nothing about photography. Still, here are a few night pics that I clicked with my kodak easyshare m575 , a few of a concert that happened in my college and one with a few friends. I want to know how exactly is it that each of my night pics gets screwed up. I tried tweaking the some settings of my cam but have now sort of reached the conclusion that something is wrong with my camera's night mode capabilities. It takes half decent day photographs. So what exactly is wrong?

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i443/cipher1729/

Last edited:
well there is one really majoy flaw. its really wrong.

there are no photos

Well, it is obvious that by going into "Night Mode", your camera automatically goes to the highest ISO it provides you with, the longest exposure it deems manageable when the camera is hold in your hand, and the widest open aperture, so as much light can reach the sensor as is possible. Only may the exposure time still be too long for anyone who just holds the camera in hands, so you get camera shake. The movements of your subjects (here band on stage, a lot of motion!) may be too fast for that time of exposure, so you get motion blur, the high ISO gives you heaps of noise (as you can see), and the wide open aperture gives you a shallow depth of field, so there's only a small part that your camera can put into focus.

Among the compact cameras, there are only few which can really cope with nighttime situations well.

640 must be the camera's highest ISO, because that's the highest number in the set. Maximum aperture must be 5.9. The band pix were around 1/10 - 1/15 sec., so that explains the blur.

Camera is a Kodak Easyshare M575.

Thanks for the replies. So, what could be the solution?
1. Change settings on the camera. (Which?)
2. Change the camera(I am anyway not impressed by this one's performance) If yes then please suggest a good one (for a absolute beginner) at around 200$. Night mode photography capability is an absolute must.

Manually, you'd be able to get to ISO 1000, but that won't gain you much over 640.

You've already got a camera in the $100-150 price range. I don't think going to $200 will get you much more.

unless you spend upwards of 1000 bucks on a dslr and a fast prime lens, or use film, your low light shots will most likely suck

Manually, you'd be able to get to ISO 1000, but that won't gain you much over 640.

You've already got a camera in the $100-150 price range. I don't think going to $200 will get you much more.

maybe a cheap slr film body and cheap 50 f1.8 or f1.4 lens. bump your budget to up. You could grab a d40 or d50 and a 50 f 1.8 for under $300. "night mode" potography of moving subjects without flash would require a much more expensive body or flash.

Most reactions

Back