What's new

Fur And Feathers

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
693
Reaction score
597
Location
Reno, NV
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
More non-zoo animal pics! Not so predatory this time though.Tracked this group for about two hours today. Took a pretty good tumble down the thickets for my effort on top of it. For some reason they do not look as sharp as they should to me, not sure if its just the way the fur is or maybe the weird background. I didn't seem to miss focus. Anyways, it was two young bucks with a female.

155 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

156 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

173 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

This guy was in a low bush, with a wooden fence behind him. Gave an interesting and different background:
006 (2) by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr


Stellars Jay. I never can get them in the light right. They don't like to cooperate at all. Tried call blasting for them today though and it did seem to work.
029 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

And got a few decent insect shots in as well. Apparently these are some kind of bee. Much smaller than a honeybee though, took the naked eye they looked more like house flies, smaller than those too as well. For comparison, the flowers are about the size of a penny:
224 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

203 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr
 
I love the last pic too but #4 is a real beauty and my fav by far.
What is call blasting by the way?
 
Well you won't find Deer around here unless you head deep into the bush. Very nice to see Jas. Love the birds, incredible colours you have up there. Nice macro as well, really go for those metallic colours.

All the best Jason, nice work and shots.

Danny.
 
Gorgeous! #3 looks like maybe a tiny bit of camera shake? The first two seem nice a crisp, but you're right on that third one being a little off. #4 is perfect though! And the macro bee is cool.
 
I love the last pic too but #4 is a real beauty and my fav by far.
What is call blasting by the way?

I record calls for birds that you can find online onto my smart phone, then just play them when I'm out birding. This guy kept circling the trees trying to figure out where the calls were coming from.

Gorgeous! #3 looks like maybe a tiny bit of camera shake? The first two seem nice a crisp, but you're right on that third one being a little off. #4 is perfect though! And the macro bee is cool.
Maybe. I'm normally pretty steady and EXIF shows the shutter was at 1/1000, so even that shouldn't have been an issue.
 
I record calls for birds that you can find online onto my smart phone, then just play them when I'm out birding. This guy kept circling the trees trying to figure out where the calls were coming from.

Huh! I didn't know we could do that, gonna try it tomorrow :D
 
I record calls for birds that you can find online onto my smart phone, then just play them when I'm out birding. This guy kept circling the trees trying to figure out where the calls were coming from.

Huh! I didn't know we could do that, gonna try it tomorrow :D


Allaboutbirds.com has a great database of calls, though I'm not sure how much they have globally speaking. I'm sure there has to be a regional site of some kind. I just use the voice recorder on my phone and then just play it back.
 
I have an app for that, i use it more for identification than calling. iBird PRO.

Problems with apps are they only work if you have a good, strong signal. If you're out in the bush, it's better to actually have the files stored, rather than be dependent on streaming them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom