Furniture product photography

sway74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking at buying a Canon EOS 600D, as i'm new to photography. I will be using it to photograph furniture, sideboards/chest of drawers, etc. A friend of mine suggested getting the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM lens. The photos will be used on a website, and also could be used for magazines.

Just wondered if the lense would be suitable, and if anyone had any advice on lenses?

Many thanks..

While that lens will certainly be wide and sharp enough for your purposes, at wide angles like that, the furniture will become slightly distorted.

If that is "suitable" for you, then go for it. It just might not give the most accurate portrayal of the furniture.

For product photography, if your budget is such that you're considering the 16-35, I'd go for a tilt-shift lens. This of course requires learning how to use a tilt shift lens, but, it's not that complicated, anything's learnable. The Canon 45mm f/2.8 TS-E would be my choice on that body.

Thanks for your input guys!

I'll look into the tilt shift lens. Its difficult trying to nail a lens down, as there are so many out there, and a lot of different views on what would be suitable, and for that price, you don't want to end up with the wrong one...!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back