Gear suggestions

HallieD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hallied.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking for suggestions for video lighting that isn't huge, but also not directional, more for bouncing. I photograph births, and have been looking to add some video fro photo video slideshows. the problem I have is that a lot of births, the lighting is ever changing, and often dark. For the photo end, I can bounce flash depending on the room and results I want. But when trying to blend natural light video with flash photography, its creates inconsistant results. Ive been able to adjust WB for video to help match at times but...... thinking just investing in some light I can bring when needed may help create the more consisant look im aiming for.

What gear might work? and not be shining directly onto a laboring woman's body or into her face?

Here is my first attempt. Don't CC to harshly, I learned a LOT in all areas, know of several tweaks i plan to make with transitions, etc. But..... might give an idea of what I hope to do more of. - note- this is a birth, but not "graphic" moments

here- wasn't sure how to get video into message The Home Birth of Caleb - YouTube

to add- shot with D800, 50mm1.8, video focused manually (lovin that actually, but need to practice practice)

The problem with video lighting is going to be that it is constant. For still images a constant light would have to be blinding bright and would start a fire in no time because of it's heat.
Are you limited and not allowed to use flash?

A constant light puts out it's wattage over 1 second. So say you have a 100W bulb. It puts out 100W over one second. So, in order to get all of that light into the camera you'd have to have the shutter open for 1 full second. Not an option with live and moving subjects, let alone holding the camera in your hand. That would be one big blur.
A flash puts ALL of it's wattage out in a fraction of a second. If you have a 100W flash you will get all 100W of that light in less than 1/250 of a second. It's a whole lot brighter burst.

Many births are shot at extremely high ISO's with no flash at all. It's pretty common practice in order not to disturb the mom. Here's one the very first one I shot:
http://www.flickr.com//photos/impressionsstudio/sets/72157628946935439/show/

Last edited:
Limited sometimes, but I do use flash for the still images when needed, because often there is a lot of action in low light, just depends on how much light I can get. But sometimes the shoot will span over 12 hours(or more!!) so I may have great natural light at one point, but then end up shooting in the middle of the night. Mostly just wonderig if there is something I can use when doing video during the times I know I will be using flash, so those clips better match the stills I get with flash vs natural light with higher ISO. That can be turned on and off between uses. there may be one or 2-5 (under 10 sec) video clips during a half hour.

the video I do is normally less than 10 seconds at a time too, if that helps with suggestions. At this point, my goal is great photo-video slideshows for clients.

For the video part of it I really don't know how to help-much...
You will find that no matter what your white balance is fluctuating-even with a video light. Unless you set a custom white balance and set it repeatedly during the shoot.
I'd probably ask more in a forum geared towards video? Keith or Charlie might have some better advice as well. Charlie shoots with the D800 so he'll know it's abilities for setting up the custom options on it.

If you're looking foor cool lights, CFLs are your only way to go. They sell spiderlite-type models with (5) 100-150W CFLs in each head (wescott sells them. I have the Cowboy Studio 3000W version from amazon). They're daylight-balanced. But, they're also kinda big if you use the softbox. But that's the good thing about CFLs. They're pretty soft inherently. So, the softbox may not be needed. Other than that, LEDs and fresnels are your only other REAL option, and both can be super costly for good, ambient-type lighting.

If you don't mind the heat, a good, low-budget set of red head 800w lights can be had for super cheap (3 lights for under $200 if you search hard enough). But, they get mega hot. So that could be a problem both for ambient temperatures, and a safety hazard.

Mark

What is your budget? There are LED fresnels that are fully adjustable for colour temperature and tint, but they are a bit expensive (but good lights are good investments - they last for ever, give good service and hold their value very well). Fresnels are very versatile lights, particularly when being used for bouncing. HMI and CDM fresnels are both more efficient than the cheaper tungsten fresnels, but tuning the colour temperature of these lights can only be done with gel or dichroic filters.

Open-face lights (ie lights without lenses) like redheads and blondes ('reds' and 'yellows' if you prefer) Tota-lights, DP lights and many others are cheaper but much less controllable than fresnels.

Bare heads of various sorts can be used in Chinese lanterns, including the low profile 'pancake' lanterns, for quick and easy natural lighting that can be prevented from spilling all over the place using the lantern's skirts.

Dedos are very small, low wattage and very controllable. Used wisely they give very good light for their size and wattage.

One thing to remember - if it is bright enough for video it is likely to be bright enough for stills as well. Continuous light can be less intrusive than flash. Modern efficient light sources and cameras with good high ISO quality have changed the game a lot. Using the same light for stills and video helps with consistency, of course.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back