general opinion on Nikon lenses

newbieslr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello to the photofourm community,

I would like some advice and opinions on Nikon lenses.

I am thinking of purchasing a mid-range DSLR – possibly Nikon D5300. However, when researching which type lenses to choose from I have read that some Nikon lenses suffer from distortion? Furthermore, yesterday I happen to bump into an enthusiastic photographer who was shooting with his full-frame Canon camera. He also mentioned that he does not like to shoot with a Nikon due to distortion.

My questions are;

1. Do Nikon lenses have a reputation for distortion or is this a fault suffered by many different brand lenses; Canon etc?
  2. If Nikon lenses do suffer from distortion is this limited to a select range of lenses and which types?
  3. Is distortion a common feature in lenses hence why most DSLRs offer a distortion correction feature on their camera’s.
  4. Finally, any opinions on the D5300 would be helpful? My budget is to spend up £750-800 on a new camera, a prime lens, zoom lens and if possible a wide lens.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Jay

Hello to the photofourm community,

I would like some advice and opinions on Nikon lenses.

I am thinking of purchasing a mid-range DSLR – possibly Nikon D5300. However, when researching which type lenses to choose from I have read that some Nikon lenses suffer from distortion? Furthermore, yesterday I happen to bump into an enthusiastic photographer who was shooting with his full-frame Canon camera. He also mentioned that he does not like to shoot with a Nikon due to distortion.

My questions are;

Do Nikon lenses have a reputation for distortion or is this a fault suffered by many different brand lenses; Canon etc?

Distortion is a product of lens manufacturing. There is virtually always some bit of distortion, often it is not detectable. It is not a Nikon thing it is a physics thing.

If Nikon lenses do suffer from distortion is this limited to a select range of lenses and which types?

Generally the cheaper the lens, the cheaper the materials, this can cause some forms of distortion.
Is distortion a common feature in lenses hence why most DSLRs offer a distortion correction feature on their camera’s.

Yes to some degree.
Finally, any opinions on the D5300 would be helpful? My budget is to spend up £750-800 on a new camera, a prime lens, zoom lens and if possible a wide lens.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Jay

When you buy a DSLR you are not buying a camera, you are buying a system. The two most popular and most extensive systems are Nikon and Canon. Not saying that the other systems are bad but they tend not to have as extensive lens selection, accessory selection etc.

The 5300 is from all I have heard a good body to begin with. Never used the 5300 so I have no hands on experience. You need to evaluate what you want to shoot, what gear, not just body, but lenses, flashes etc. you will need and decide on your system from there. The 5300 may meet your needs, there may be another body that will meet them better. Only you can decide.

Last edited:
In general I have not heard about any manufacturer having issues with distortion across the board. And by distortion I mean straight lines being bent. Some people have preferences towards color rendition and I could see how this could be translated to distortion.

Generally wide lenses do suffer from distortion. But with LR/PS even that is quickly resolved.

So feel free to continue looking at Nikon cameras as they make great products. I doubt you would not be satisfied with the quality of images from the 5300 or its distortion.

The rule of thumb is a cheap lens (under steady use) will last you five years, the best will last you fifty.

As to getting more responses to your post you might try to get it moved to the forum dedicated to Nikon.

I don't have an opinion on the D5300 save that if you san swing the extra for a D7xxx series you will be happier simply because of the greater -and very fine ;)- lens selection.

The enthusiast?

Most people are happy with the things they really enjoy.

Unfortunately a few who are so insecure that they feel the need to cut down others and do so at most opportunities. This cuts across all brands, sports teams you name it.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy.

mike

Last edited:
I just bought a D5300 with two kit lenses last week. I've only had the weekend to get hands on with it, but so far I'm very happy with this kit. Granted, I'm a hobbiest just getting back into photography and only just starting with digital photography (my last SLR was a 35mm film Nikon N6006). The kit I got included an 18-55mm and a 55-300mm zoom, plus I added the 35mm prime. I'm been impressed with the picture quality, particularly coming from kit lenses.

Do you have a local shop where you can get hands on with both the D5300 and the lenses you expect to use?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Your friend sounds like he's a few cards short of a full deck.

Your friend sounds like he's a few cards short of a full deck.

I don't think his friend is nuts. Its the classic: 'all people who don't eat with utensils are uncultured swine' thing and the nun sure made my knuckles swell for asking why.

All lenses suffer from some form of distortion! By the way that Canon guy hasn't got a clue with that statement !!

Last edited:
Any overgeneralization is going to be suspect.

EVERY manufacturer will produce lenses with distortion... some more so than others.

Almost every lens has SOME distortion, but in better lenses it is hard to detect. Keep in mind you're running everything through a round lens.

Nikon and Canon are both top-tier manufacturers that have a generally wider array of higher-quality lenses than some second-tier manufacturers, but they still produce some clunkers, and Sigma and the other second-tier boys have some wonderful offerings that rival the big boys.

By and large, you get what you pay for. If you spend $100 on a mega zoom, then the mega-zoom will suck. If you spend $2,000 on a fixed focal length lens of under 200mm, it will probably be amazing. There are, however, exceptions. Do your research on any lens you want to buy.

If you look at any Lens review the fault charts are there. Some are better than others. Distortion is no more a Nikon thing than a Canon or Pentax or Olympus thing. If you look at a photo specifically for faults you will find them.

Cameras have corrections built in for jpegs now. Lightroom or DXO have inbuilt corrections for raw files. Software and hardware now probably make it easier to get the most faithful looking pictures ever. If it isn't good enough for someone now they are very picky

Furthermore, yesterday I happen to bump into an enthusiastic photographer who was shooting with his full-frame Canon camera. He also mentioned that he does not like to shoot with a Nikon due to distortion.
:lol: Of his mind, perhaps ? :mrgreen:

People have the tendency to rationalize their decision to buy a certain product afterwards. Thats why some people will tell your their cameras are totally superior, with riddiculous reasons given.

Nobody can get close to Nikon F and Canon EF when it comes to selection of lenses and lens quality. Overall they are in a head to head in quality since decades. For example, right now Canon has the superior Tilt/Shift lenses and Nikon has the better superzooms.

Unfortunately thats not true for Nikon F for DX and Canon EF-S lenses. Here the lens selection is rather limited. :thumbdown: IMHO Micro Four Third and Fuji X have superior lens selection to that, especially many high quality and bright prime lenses.

Either way, no, Nikon doesnt have substantly more (or less) distortion than Canon. Now if you would be a bit more specific, then theres strong and weak lenses in the selection, and of course theres also good and bad examples for each lens individually. See for example this recent article about that: Quality control, sample variation and what it means for photographers ? Ming Thein | Photographer

See also reviews of kit lenses in the net:
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II - Review / Test Report
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 STM IS - Review / Test Report
Pentax SMC-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL - Review / Test Report
Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM DT - Review / Lab Test

As you can see, ALL these four kit lenses have quite strong distortion at 18mm, which goes much lower on higher focal lenghts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back