Geo-moment

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the lack of something better to do while I wait for my 'trip' to start;

800-2670.jpg

Section scale is about 20 feet high by proportionately wide.

Here's the story behind it;

--
About 18.5 million years ago, a powerful volcanic eruption blasted outward from the nearby Woods Mountains. Propelled by the force of rapidly rising and expanding gasses, a ground-hugging cloud of ash and rock fragments spread out at near super-sonic speeds across the countryside. Some of the rocks thrown out by the blast are 14-20 meters (60 feet) across - the largest ever documented!

Hot, suffocating ash buried every living thing in the path of the blast. An area of over 600 km2 was covered with ash and rock fragments so hot that they welded together after they reached the ground. The toasted and fossilized remains of birds, mammals, and plants lie entombed beneath the volcanic tuff that forms the colorful cliffs of Hole in the Wall.
--

And then it happened again, and again, and again. This is the basaltic shell from the last explosion. The tuff from previous explosions eroded away over the last 17 million years. Inside looking out, so to speak. Pretty knarly- very abstract.

Inside looking out, so to speak.

One of my favorite tracks from Grand Funk Railroad, especially off the live album "Caught in the Act".

Fascinating backstory to this shot. Wondering what it would look like if converted to a black-light poster?

BTW, really cool photo.

Thanks.

The trip was delayed by a day, but I leave in a couple hours. Gave me a chance to catch up on some work. Stupid, stupid, stupid work.

I want more pictures. Maybe something not so grainy this time... but I might. No sense in limiting my options.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back