Getting credit for bad photos

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took some photos at a local event on Friday (high school graduation parade). I posted some of them on Instagram and some on Facebook for those who had kids in the photos. One mom Dm'd me and asked if I minded if she posted my photos of her kid on Instagram if she credited me. I said sure go ahead. Well...she posted them on Instagram and Facebook and she did tag me and give me credit but... she posted my photos in with other photos that are not mine and they are pretty terrible. Phone snaps of a moving car parade that are blurry and not composed very well. I guess it's not important enough to really worry about but i don't really use my Instagram for family photos or snapshots - it's more for my hobby stuff. I'd really rather not be tagged in her post with all those other crappy photos. But not worth making a big deal about. Just a cautionary tale for others here...

Just wanted to clarify that it’s not that my photos are lumped in with crappy photos that’s the issue. it’s that the wording of her post makes it seem like I took all the photos including the crappy ones.

Maybe you could post something like “ Wishing to not take credit for work that isn’t mine, my photos are actually #’s etc, etc...”.
I’ve decided to be a big girl and just get over it. I’m sure no one gives a crap other than me. Sorry to be whiny earlier! Must have been sleep deprivation.

Did she slap a bunch of filters on your photos too? ;) You could say something about how you are happy to offer a few photos to her parade album.

Did she slap a bunch of filters on your photos too? ;) You could say something about how you are happy to offer a few photos to her parade album.
No LOL. That’s what Princess and her friends usually do but they don’t tag my Instagram account when they do it.

Peg, I learned the hard way in 2008 that anything you put on line can be stolen, misused or altered. Any images you give to someone can be used in ways you didn't expect. I don't release digitals until a client has purchased a minimum sized print/payment and I have been adequately been compensated for the shot. And then it is web sized only. But folks don't care, they will print even with a water mark across most of the photo. You may want to watermark yours in the future so yours could be distinguished from others. In my case, they can get a crap print from costco or some other printer and it is on garbage paper, poorly printed so I don't want my name on anything like that. I hand print on 200/400 year paper and ink and the image is as I envisioned, not some guy sitting at a printer a 1000 miles away. I spent years becoming a master printer so after shooting then editing for a vision I see on my monitor, I get it exactly in my print and I don't want colors, brightness, blacks messed up.

Just wanted to clarify that it’s not that my photos are lumped in with crappy photos that’s the issue. it’s that the wording of her post makes it seem like I took all the photos including the crappy ones.
Will prospective clients actually see those pictures? Don't they disappear over time like old post and threads here?

Peg, I learned the hard way in 2008 that anything you put on line can be stolen, misused or altered. Any images you give to someone can be used in ways you didn't expect. I don't release digitals until a client has purchased a minimum sized print/payment and I have been adequately been compensated for the shot. And then it is web sized only. But folks don't care, they will print even with a water mark across most of the photo. You may want to watermark yours in the future so yours could be distinguished from others. In my case, they can get a crap print from costco or some other printer and it is on garbage paper, poorly printed so I don't want my name on anything like that. I hand print on 200/400 year paper and ink and the image is as I envisioned, not some guy sitting at a printer a 1000 miles away. I spent years becoming a master printer so after shooting then editing for a vision I see on my monitor, I get it exactly in my print and I don't want colors, brightness, blacks messed up.
Years ago wedding photographers would give their clients proofs to select which ones they wanted permanent copies in an album. The proofs would fade to dark brown or black after a relatively short time of a few months so the clients couldn't keep them for free. Don't they have something like that with digital photos. That would be a nice app if someone wants to make millions. Just save ten percent for my idea for me. :)

Alan, it would have to prevent screen shots or them just copying it to their hard drive. It's why no images leave my studio and selection is done in studio or in person at their home.

Will prospective clients actually see those pictures? Don't they disappear over time like old post and threads here?
I don’t have “clients”, it’s a hobby. I occasionally sell a landscape or shoot a portrait for someone I know but that is not the goal for me. My annoyance was more along the lines of ego and reputation. We have a lot of mutual friends and I wouldn’t want them to think I took some of the photos she posted which were pretty bad phone snaps.

As has been said, "No good deed goes unpunished."

I took some photos at a local event on Friday (high school graduation parade). I posted some of them on Instagram and some on Facebook for those who had kids in the photos. One mom Dm'd me and asked if I minded if she posted my photos of her kid on Instagram if she credited me. I said sure go ahead. Well...she posted them on Instagram and Facebook and she did tag me and give me credit but... she posted my photos in with other photos that are not mine and they are pretty terrible. Phone snaps of a moving car parade that are blurry and not composed very well. I guess it's not important enough to really worry about but i don't really use my Instagram for family photos or snapshots - it's more for my hobby stuff. I'd really rather not be tagged in her post with all those other crappy photos. But not worth making a big deal about. Just a cautionary tale for others here...
ohhh such a mess! well you could tell her to tag you in only your pictures.

I hate when this happens too!! But they mean well and its really nice they thought to tag you. My thoughts are if someone goes to your tag they will see you are a professional and it will be obvious which ones are yours xoxo

You seem to be taking it as a lesson learned, which I think is the right thing to do.

There was no intent to deceive or harm. I am sure the person posting the pictures thought "Wow she really got some nice photos", but they are no more significant then the worst of the lot.

When it comes to Family Photos, emotions trump quality.

Most reactions

Back