Getting eyes sharp and completely in focus.

Hmmm...... same person, same thread, replies twenty minutes apart.

Its doesnt matter how fast your shutter speed is, just make sure its well exposed.

You focus, you shoot, you just have to make sure your shutter speed is fast enough.

Where I'm from, that is considered talking out of both sides of your mouth. :confused: Which is it?

I was refering to MWC2 who was saying to keep it at 1/100th to get sharp images. You can get perfect sharp image at 1/40 1/50 with 50mm. 1/2 would be forced a bit. I should have been a bit more clear :p

I believe I said if you are hand-holding keep the SS at around 1/100 or you will get motion blur. Of course you can use 1/50 or lower if you are using a tripod, if you are super steady or your subject isn't moving.

Thanks for all the helpful info and advice guys! Eeeek every thread on here always gets so heated :p But yeah thank you I shall try some of the methods you have suggested and see what I can achieve :)

Thanks for all the helpful info and advice guys! Eeeek every thread on here always gets so heated :p But yeah thank you I shall try some of the methods you have suggested and see what I can achieve :)

haha! yeah well, Different photographers like to work one way and some other photographer use other techniques so things can get pretty nasty

What is the whole point of getting a f1.8 lens and shoot it a F5.6? I shoot my 50mm at f1.8, f2 all the time and get sharp images. its true that shooting wide open you get less play because of the short dof but its nothing different then shooting at different aperture. You focus, you shoot, you just have to make sure your shutter speed is fast enough.

If the OP is having problems getting a sharp focus at f/1.8, focusing accuracy MAY be an issue, and under those circumstances shooting a few stops down will ensure that the subject is shart enough. If you are able to get accurate focus at f/1.8, then so much the better - but missing focus is a common and recurring theme with lots of people. As Keith has noted, different cameras have different focus sensors, some better than others, and the consequence of not using the "right" focus point is a missed focus. We're trying to help the OP come up with a technique or techniques that will improve her ratio of good shots. You may not need that advice, and that's great.

haha! yeah well, Different photographers like to work one way and some other photographer use other techniques so things can get pretty nasty

Yeah I guess you can achieve results using different methods/techniques. Forums always seem to get argumentative. On my pregnancy forum it is even worse than here lol! But what can you expect with a bunch of hormonal women! :D

A good rule of thumb, regardless of lens, light, whatever, is to aim and focus on the bridge of the nose, right between the eyes. (Recompose of course if needed). A little light in the eyes certainly doesn't hurt things. :)
Also keep in mind, some of the photos you see, have some post processing on the back end.

Here is an example, and I hope it's helpful to you:
In this photo, I focused on Mom's eyes. I shopped the babies eyes.
ashleyblog16-10_49_04AM.jpg

No problem. :) I'm happy you thought the post helpful. Just play with it, and I think you will be happy with the results.
Many Hugs!

Stopping down to f2.8 will give you more DOF plus a sharper image. Lenses are not the sharpest wide open but continue to improve as they are stopped down to about F11 & then start to decline.

Stopping down to f2.8 will give you more DOF plus a sharper image. Lenses are not the sharpest wide open but continue to improve as they are stopped down to about F11 & then start to decline.

The shot above was taken at 8.0......so the above is not always true.

I only shoot F5.6-F11 in studio, rarely outdoor. If i need to kill more light i use ND Filters. 24-70, 70-200 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 135 DC F2 and many many other large apterture lens are sharp wide open, i dont know.

I only shoot F5.6-F11 in studio, rarely outdoor. If i need to kill more light i use ND Filters. 24-70, 70-200 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 135 DC F2 and many many other large apterture lens are sharp wide open, i dont know.

Exactly

Most reactions

Back