Getting into sport photography - Which lens to buy?

JeremyD

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings! I have been offered an opportuinty to start shooting paintball events and I do not yet own a telephoto lens. I need a lens that can get pretty far and some times a bit close.Mainly I would be at outdoor fields, and have fast moving targets which I would need a fast focusing lens.

Im debating to get the 70 -300 or the 75 - 300

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-75-300mm...=UTF8&qid=1366156246&sr=1-3&keywords=75+300mm

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0007Y794O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BF16WYO4RU8C

I am really not to sure which telephoto lens to get! If you have any feedback or suggestions that would gladly appreiated. I shoot with a Canon T4i, and my price range is 500 or under. The conditions will usually be outside. Thanks, -Jeremy.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Obviously the 70-300mm USM is the better lens. You may want to consider the 55-250mm also. The 75-300mm has no IS and is in line with the Sigma and Tamron 70-300.

Of course ! However there is a major possibility that my lens will get hit so replacing a 130 lens is easy and if I can get away with it I would go that route. However I am most likely going to get the more expensive lens which will result in better photos. Thanks for your input.

Shooting sports is one of the most demanding thing you can ask of your gear.
The issue is that you usually need long lenses because you can't be up close to the action....and at the same time, you usually want to freeze the action, which requires fast shutter speeds.
The best way to get fast shutter speeds, is to use a large aperture...but the problem is that a lens that has a long focal length and a large aperture (F4 or F2.8) will be really large and really, really expensive. The average pro sports shooter that you might see at a football game, for example, is probably walking around with $15,000-$20,000 worth of gear.

The lenses that you are looking at, have a pretty good focal length range, up to 300mm....but the maximum aperture when zoomed out, is only F5.6. That will limit the amount of light you can get into the camera, thus requiring you to use a slower shutter speed or a higher ISO, in order to get a good exposure.

Of course, the limiting factor will be the amount of light that you have to work with. If you're shooting in bright daylight, it shouldn't be a problem....but if you're shooting in less than ideal light, or even darker spots (under trees etc) then light becomes an issue.

You can always crank up your ISO to help get faster shutter speeds, but then you get more digital noise. A better/newer camera will be better in terms of noise...but it also comes down to your own personal level of tolerance for it.

Lastly, focus speed may be an issue. If you are choosing between the lower level 75-300mm lenses, certainly go for the USM. But keep in mind that focus speed is also a factor of the camera body.

Paintball is one time I really recommend putting a filter on the front element. Do that and then don't worry if the lens gets splattered now and then. If that lens is all you have the money for, then it will have to do. Just make sure you keep the ISO up enough so you can have faster shutter speeds to stop action. Stay low and shoot at the same level as the participants. If you had the money I would go even slightly longer with a 100-400, they can be found in excellent condition used for around $1100-1200.

Yeah I will for sure get filters and a lens hood to protect my lens's

Last edited:
In the next few months they will be paying me so I will be able to purchase a better lens used hopefully. But for now I will have to purchase a cheaper lens since my budget is tight. Thank you very much for you feedback!

Most reactions

Back