Getting Started

Origin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:hail:

I took a photography course and had a little exposure to dark room techniques, etc... I'm now graduating college and would like to pick up the hobby again. I'm completely out of the loop and really have no idea where a good starting point would be in terms of equipment, dark room setup & the impact of digital photography.

For anyone who feels so inclined, I would really appreciate some basic information. First of all, what is the best camera to begin with. Second, how do most amateurs develop their photos - any tips on dark room set up. Has there been a shift to the digital side of things & if so, what recommendations can you make as to equipment & getting started.

Also, is anyone working in journalism in any capacity? My degree is in a non-related field, but I'm interested in trying to break into this a bit. I don't want to quit my "day job" at this time, but I'd like to combine photography with my writing skills & submit articles to magazines, etc...

If any of this fits anyone, I'd really appreciate a little dialogue. Thanks so much!

Regarding journalism.
In the UK we have the Artist and Writers Yearbook that details every publication in the world, the sort of articles and pictures they prefer, their rates, etc.
There is an equivalent for the US.
You write stuff on spec and send it on the rounds.
There are so many publications that they are desperate for half-way decent articles. All it takes is perseverence.

Your first question: Define 'best' as applied to a camera. What do you intend doing with it and what is your budget. (This question is like asking 'where should I live?') And do a thread search on this site - this is a FAQ.
Second: You can either process them yourself or get a lab to do it. The split is about 50/50 for B&W. Colour - use a lab.

If you intend to use your pictures as part of your pursuit of journalism then go digital.

There will be a whole bunch of different opinions along any minute. Take your pick.

Thanks Hertz!

Great tip on the Artist & Writer's yearbook.

Yes, I believe I would choose a camera first & foremost for journalistic purposes. Also, & correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't I have more autonomy over the photographs in that I could do all of the digital editing & not run up excessive costs printing the images, until I created some that were truly worthy. After the initial start up cost of purchasing equipment & software, wouldn't the expense be considerably lower going the digital route? (At least until one starts printing)

Are you a journalist?

My ex-wife trained and worked as a fashion journalist in London in the 70's. And I co-wrote a photojournalism module for a degree course. But apart from that...

Digital certainly does have some advantages. I've decided to take it up as I no longer have access to a darkroom (and I've got kinda bored with wet work).
It certainly has advantages for magazine work. Professionals are all going that way now. The basic principles are the same for both approaches so I'm finding it pretty easy to make the swap.
Software usually comes with the camera. I bought Olympus (my 35mm kit is) and the Master software that comes with it is superb (I still use PS too).

Should be Writers and Artists Yearbook.
http://www.findtutorials.com/shop_uk/0713669365/Writers__and_Artists__Yearbook_2005.html

There was another thread along similar lines and someone came up with the US equivalent. But W&AY is International (although UK biased) so it should still be of use.

Thanks again Hertz & I appreciate the link. I checked it out & I'm going to order the book!

Interesting history ...

I think it really depends on your pocketbook. If money is really no object, the Nikon D70 or Canon EOS 20D are great digital cameras if that's the path you choose. If you decide to go 35mm, there are some very good deals on Nikon and Canon cameras on eBay. EBay is also a great place for lenses and just about anything related to photography.

Thanks for the specifics Railman. Sorry, I've been away for a few days. I'm definitely going to go digital. I'm interested in getting into Astrophotography. Check out seetheglory.com for some great images.

OK Hertz, now you can't go leading me on like that without telling a bit more ...

Let's hear all about it ...

:drool:

P.S. Sorry, I've been away for a few days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back