Getting used to Photoshop.

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just trying to get a good grasp on how to use Photoshop CS3 to improve portraits. This is one I just snapped of myself a little while ago, for fun, not for like, a great shot or whatever. How do I make it so I can just make the eyes brighter without using adjustment layers to make the rest of the shot dark and then re-expose the eyes? By the way, I used an adjustment layer for the saturation too and then just re-saturated using the brush tool. Am I doing it right or what?

Self:
_DSC3157.jpg

How do I make it so I can just make the eyes brighter without using adjustment layers to make the rest of the shot dark and then re-expose the eyes?

Not too sure what you mean, but you could mask the adjustment layer ? Or is that what you're already doing ? Sorry :confused:

Ah, I think I got it. This was done using three adjustment layers. First one to get the eyes to be the only thing saturated. Second one to get the eyes brighter. And the third one to get the rest of the picture brighter to a different extent.

_DSC3157-2.jpg

Layer masks :thumbsup:

I got Photoshop a week or so ago and just haven't really messed around with it much. But now that I'm starting to understand layers, wow, makes a big difference. HAHA. Layers are pretty useful.

Oh, and just so I don't regret the purchase, does Elements let you use layers like Photoshop does?

'Cause, Photoshop was a lot of money and I sort of want to make sure it wasn't a waste.

Seems asif you're going about it the right way.

The worse way of doing it would be to create a new copy layer, crop out what you don't want then run a process on it. So as long as you ARN'T doing that ;)

Masked adjustment layers are a much better way.

Also, don't forget you can limit the adjustment layer to only affect certain layers :)

I'm just trying to get a portraiture thing goin', and I heard Photoshop was rather useful for such an endeavor. So, I'm building up some clients right now, friends to start with, and then you know, they tell someone, and it spreads. I know that's wishful thinking, but I love photography anyways, so if my shots look better, I'm happy whether I am making money at it or not.

Sounds like i'm doing the same thing as you ! Desperately trying to find friends who need pictures in my case hehe !

Youtube is great for portrait retouching tips :D

Most reactions

Back