GIMP!

quad b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i'm trying to change my photo to B/W but keep a small bit of it in colour. i just went through a thread of someone else's who did this and it workedfor them, but i still can't get it happening. i can get two layers of the same pic, the top one in B/W, then i use the "smart scissors" to select the area that i want to remove from the B/W layer.
now, maybe i'm stupid, but i cannot figure out how to actually get rid of the selected bit from the B/W.

can anyone help?

oh ok, so i can basically "colour" in the mask layer, giving me what i want in colour.

is there a way in gimp to select an area of the photo using the scissors or whatever, and then deleting that area?
i think this way might be easier/quicker if you could just select, then delete an area on the overlying layer revealing what is underneath.

Plus if you select the area and just hit delete... chances are that the selection won't be perfect and will need some refining anyway. The masking method works better because you're not actually losing data and the refining process is a bit easier.

Digital Matt said:
Masking is always better, because it's not permanent. You can always go back and refine a mask.

so i could delete the selected area, but it can't be changed.
thanks for your help

ok, here's my first try. any comments would be appreciated

flower.jpg

Most reactions

Back