GND, resin or glass?

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at picking up a square GND filter, but am stuck deciding between resin or glass. Since I can only afford one right now, I'm looking at the Lee 4x6 .6 soft edge, but am wondering if resin is durable enough. I will be hand holding the filter, as opposed to setting it in a nice, safe, holder. I suppose if it's a hard enough resin, it won't make a difference, but I guess I'm mentally comparing it to most plastics I deal with, and how easily they scratch. I would be extra concerned about scratching it while doing things like feathering during an exposure, or even if I set it down on something hard.

Does anyone have any input? Anyone had problem with durability of a resin filter?

I'm guessing by the overwhelming response, there must be no issues with the durability of resin filters! :lol:

I went with the cheaper cokin filter system. Havent had an issue yet, you can see some of my landscapes here or on Flickr. I can't justify spending the money on a Lee filter when a 15 dollar Cokin filter gets the job done just as nicely.

Thanks for the input mwcfarms. I was considering the Cokin, and may go back to it. It suppose is a bit ridiculous for me to spend the money on a Lee when the quality of filter won't suddenly make me a better photographer! :lol:

One thing to consider (which you may have already thought about), the 4x6 filter size is handy sometimes. If you use the filter holder or hand hold, you have less chance of catching the filter edges in the shot and get the gradation where you want it. I have run into problems because of the size of the cokin in the past. I now use the lee and have no issues. I am very careful with my filters so I am not one to talk about durability.

I use both full ND filters and GND so I can avoid that if I want. But I guess that would be handy with a bigger filter.

I did think about the size, and that was one reason I was leaning toward the Lee. Cokin does, however, make a 4x6 GND filter. I think it's their X-Pro series. Price is around 60ish, if I remember correctly. Or it might be their Z-Pro series that's the 4x6, which is more like $150. Can't remember which is which.

Most reactions

Back