GoPro HD Hero vs. generic waterproof nikon housing

StuckInParadise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, in about 2 weeks I will be traveling to Kauai for a week long vacation. For those that don't know, its one of, if not the wettest place on earth. The trip will also include hiking, river kayaking and snorkeling. I wanted to rent some waterproof housing for my nikon d3100. For the week rental it would be $70. Thets $70 basically for a heavy duty ziplock bag (by the way, I don't have insurance on my camera). I'll be bringing my nikon regardless for landscapes, star trails etc.

would i be better off just sucking up the cost difference and getting a GoPro camera? the 960 version apparently is only $179? Any thoughts?

So, in about 2 weeks I will be traveling to Kauai for a week long vacation. For those that don't know, its one of, if not the wettest place on earth. The trip will also include hiking, river kayaking and snorkeling. I wanted to rent some waterproof housing for my nikon d3100. For the week rental it would be $70. Thets $70 basically for a heavy duty ziplock bag (by the way, I don't have insurance on my camera). I'll be bringing my nikon regardless for landscapes, star trails etc.

would i be better off just sucking up the cost difference and getting a GoPro camera? the 960 version apparently is only $179? Any thoughts?

I'd say go for the go pro if you wanna shoot video. It can get you some awesome shots that the Nikon can't, and it's a heck of a lot more durable, and way smaller, and easier to mount to yourself underwater for some cool POV video. The photos from them don't impress me much, but the video is great.

Also consider, the housing on your D3100 is going to make accessing the camera's controls difficult, if not impossible.

Most reactions

Back