Got myself a new toy!

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
So I've had a D70 for years, but upgraded to a D300 this year. I got thinking: why have 2 cameras around that do the same thing, except that one is clearly better in every way?

Enter LifePixel.

I've been doing IR on my D70 since shortly after I got it, but never liked the filter/long-exposure setup it required, so I bought an IR sensor filter and set about doing surgery on my camera.

Step 1: Strip 2 screws on the bottom of the camera to give yourself a challenge.
Step 2: Figure out the proper screwdriver size for the rest of the screws (Phillips size 000 for the D70, btw)
Step 3: Take a dremel to the 2 stripped screws, making them into flathead type ones.
Step 4: Remove the bottom, back, and sensor circuit board
Step 5: Carefully replace the IR blocking filter with the IR filter
Step 6: Reassemble
Step 7: See "This card cannot be used error"
Step 8: Have heart attack
Step 9: Recover (mostly)
Step 10: Take the thing apart again
Step 11: Reattach all the ribbon cables more carefully this time
Step 12: IR camera!

LifePixel recommends sending it to them to do the conversion, but I'm loath to pay someone an extra $220 for something I can do myself. THey will, however, adjust your focus for you to compensate for the IR vs visible difference. Mine seems fine with the 18-70 lens, but I can do that myself as well if I have to!

One of the first images:

ir1.JPG

Being able to shoot IR now without a tripod is wonderful, and I love how you can actually get great detail now, without the need for long exposure times.

Looooool id love to do this but i just bought my camera. Amazing photo but nothing i see myself doing any time soon. Nice find though :thumbup:

HMMMM...

I have a D70s that my girlfriend uses, but she wants a new camera, i might do this to it if it's not too difficult.

I've also been tossing around the idea of getting a D2h (not D2hs) because they've got lousy IR Cut filters and putting an R72 filter in front of the lens could be a cheap way of doing it without doing REALLY long exposures.

Ah yea, i just upgraded my main camera too, so i could do this.... Damn you!!... im trying not to spend anymore and now look what you have done!

Its true tho, the filters are good but annoying to use... i rarely bother with my tripod when going for long walks, so i don't get to use it much.
Plus I'v got newer lenses and my old filter is on a smaller thread than any of my new ones.

Which one did you get?... im guessing the standard one?, the super colour ones look a little prone to over saturation.

Sw1tch: the D70 (no clue about the D70s) was always considered quite good for IR, and you could get sub 1 second exposure times, but it's better this way :D

It's not too difficult to do if you're used to taking things apart, and working with delicate things. It's a bit frightening, but I was a lot more scared the first time I cleaned my sensor :lol:

Arch: Niiiiice. Yes, I got the standard one. If I want to oversaturate the color, I click a button in Photoshop :p

Oh, I also used a red filter to darken the sky even more, though I don't know if it makes any difference in IR!

Agreed about their super filters, they look cartoonish, especially their new one, it's pretty gawdy.

Yeah i'm thinking i could get the 67mm filter becuase i've heard the 18-70 works good for IR and do ti that way, but if it's cheaper to modify it at home..

It's not that i'm not handy, i can be if I want to be :p It's just i'm rarely in an environment that's not really dusty.

Agreed about their super filters, they look cartoonish, especially their new one, it's pretty gawdy.

Yeah i'm thinking i could get the 67mm filter becuase i've heard the 18-70 works good for IR and do ti that way, but if it's cheaper to modify it at home..

It's not that i'm not handy, i can be if I want to be :p It's just i'm rarely in an environment that's not really dusty.

The filter I'd been using before was the Hoya R72 and that same 18-70, and it did produce some great results (If you want, there's an entire IR gallery on my website, and 95% of those shots are that setup). It's DEFINITELY cheaper to go the filter route ($60-70) rather than the modification route, which is $180 if you DIY, but if you find yourself really liking the style, and doing it a lot, it's not too much to ask!

Last edited:
You'd better bring it with you when you come here in two weeks (FROM TODAY!!!!), so I can play with it. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back