Graveyard Shift

pink_panther

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi folks,

I am trying to do a shoot at night in a graveyard. The scene would be a close up of a gravestone with my "model" posed around it, the graveyard will (hopefully) be foggy or misty adding to the ambience. What I need to know is how to go about lighting this shot (a fairly close up shot) and what sort of exposure times to look for. Any tips gratefully recieved! The shot itself would be from almost ground level looking up.

Pink

Just some general thoughts....remote triggered flash behind the gravestone + diffused flash for the model. Long exposure with model moving a covered candle (light painting). Colored gels.

Pretty hard to strike a 'light-hearted' mood in that locale.

Ok so what are we talking regarding "long exposure" times? I know its all dependant on ambient light etc, but a ball park setting?

I'd personally try to light up a lot of candles and try the whole shoot with minimal flash. Use the fastest lens you got and resort to longish exposure times on a tripod. Dress the model in light colored clothing.

haha yeah dry ice works a treat (i make it at work :))

Thanks Peeps,

I will give all of this a try - Where would be the best way to position these candles? I will post some of the forthcoming results shortly. ;)

Candles will not help too much with exposure times, but might get over exposed while you try and get the rest of the shot exposed properly.
I'd totally go for flash.
With Long exposures you'll struggle to keep sharpness for portrait work, but can get some nice effects.
I like Jon's idea of flashes fired from behind the grave stones, could be quite cool!

Candles will not help too much with exposure times, but might get over exposed while you try and get the rest of the shot exposed properly.
I'd totally go for flash.
With Long exposures you'll struggle to keep sharpness for portrait work, but can get some nice effects.
I like Jon's idea of flashes fired from behind the grave stones, could be quite cool!

Yes this idea of rear flashes sounds good, but to put it into practise and get the positioning just right will be a nightmare. Ive never undertaken such a shot, so I think mainly this is going to be trial and error on my part for a bit until I crack it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back