Grey spot on my photos

RichardP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I cleaned the sensor on my Canon T5 Rebel 1200D camera and still have a grey spot on the right in the following photo. I cleaned the lenses and the UV filter. Am I missing something? My cleaning kit is for the APS-C sensor. The swab looks small compared to my sensor. This was taken on a piece of white paper. Scroll down to see the grey spot.
IMG_0007.JPG

Welcome aboard.

It looks like dust on the sensor. You can clean it off with a proper sensor cleaning kit, or take it to a quality camera shop if there are any near you.

The standard width of a swab for APS-C sensor is 16mm, the T5 Rebel sensor width is 14.9. So a standard swab should easily cover the full width of your sensor. The sensor is located behind the mirror. To gain access you must first lock the mirror up. There's a setting in the menu to do this.

Once you have access to the sensor turn the camera upside down and use a rocket blower or other bulb type blowers to blow air into the camera. You want any dislodged dirt to fall straight down and out. In most cases the blower will remove the dust. If you bypass this step you run the risk of recontamination when the mirror falls back in place.

If spots remain then use a wet swab. Using a proper size swab, place two drops of cleaning solution equally spaced, just off the edge of the swab. Allow it to soak in for a few seconds. Holding the swab vertical press it down on the sensor so the swab edge just starts to bend. In one continuous pass pull it all the way across the sensor. Lift, rotate the swab over and from the same edge you started from, repeat. Throw the swab away.

Recheck for dust spots. Sometimes it requires multiple swipes with the swab. Resist the urge to oversaturate the swab, it will leave streaks that are difficult to remove. Sometimes spots can be stubborn, if the wet swabs don't get them after the first few trys with cleaning solution then you might have oil or grease spots. You can get a better look at them with a sensor scope
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...pzYcWMdlGl2j3sFJk6kWUuBZHPzqc35BoCKXwQAvD_BwE . For oil or grease, switch to ROR https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/64495-REG/ROR_RO212D_Residual_Oil_Remover.html or some commercial shops use pure Isopropyl alcohol.

I cleaned the sensor on my Canon T5 Rebel 1200D camera and still have a grey spot on the right in the following photo. I cleaned the lenses and the UV filter. Am I missing something? My cleaning kit is for the APS-C sensor. The swab looks small compared to my sensor. This was taken on a piece of white paper. Scroll down to see the grey spot.
View attachment 270561
I had that same thing happen to me with a little Nikon super zoom snapshot. Turned out that at some point in time it got cold when I was out. When I came into a warm room, condensation created a spot. Try as I might, I couldn’t get it off Completely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back