hand of hope

acpixy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i found this online i have never seen any thing like it and im sure all of you can apriciate it!

This should be "The Picture of the Year." The picture is that of a 21-week-old unborn baby named Samuel Alexander Armas, who is being operated on by a surgeon named Joseph Bruner. The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive if removed from his mother's womb.
click the picture for larger (115K)
Photo courtesy Michael Clancy
Little Samuel's mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta. She knew of Dr. Bruner's remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb. During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small incision to operate on the baby. During the surgery on little Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully developed, hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger. The photograph captures this amazing event with perfect clarity.

The editors titled the picture, "Hand of Hope." The text explaining the picture begins, "The tiny hand of 21-week-old fetus Samuel Alexander Armas emerges from the mother's uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life."

Little Samuel's mother said they "wept for days" when they saw the picture. She said, "The photo reminds us my pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness, it's about a little person."

You can see the actual picture, and it is awesome...incredible. And hey, pass it on. The world needs to see this one.
http://www.bibletopics.com/biblestudy/76b.htm

Actually, the entire procedure aired on TLC (or discovery) the other night. It was amazing to say the least.

wow i wish i would have seen that i just saw this for the first time today and i was in awe i have been surfin the net for more info all day lol

It is a great story but there is a little white lie regarding the picture. What really happened was when the doctor was sewing up the uterus and the hand fell out. The doctor used his finger there to put it back. The baby was under anesthesia and unable to move.

I just checked, it was on Discover, the title:Surgery for the Unborn: Inside a Fetal Surgery Unit .

I couldn't find when it would air again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back