Hands on 150-600mm

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to purchase either the Sigma 150-600 C or the Tamron 150-600 G2 to pair with my Canon 80D. Does anyone have hands on experience with either of these lenses especially with this combo? I'd really appreciate some real user experience. I know reviews say the are very close, but some will say one is sharper at the long end and then others will say the other one is.
Sorry if this has been covered before I just couldn't find much when I searched.

I have the Sigma and been pretty happy with it. Never used the Tamron so can't comment on that but the Sigma does for me. Not as sharp as the 500 f/4L but in it's range it's pretty decent.

I have limited experience with both but from what I've experienced the Tamron G2 is a little sharper than the contemporary version of the Sigma.

I have the older sigma and I like it
Like all long lenses you will need to support it mount the lens on the tripod otherwise you will put a lot of strain on the camera mount.

A quick and easy trick is to carry a bean bag with you to support the lens on if you don’t have a tripod

Have the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 G2 with a Nikon mount and it has performed well for me over the last few years. It is sharp in the center, the VR works great and AF is every bit as quick at my Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6. The issue with the G2 is that is gets soft towards the corners, but that shouldn't be a problem with 80D as aps-c cameras only uses the center portion of the lens. I don't have any experience with the Sigma Contemporary version.

FWIW: I have Nikkor, Tamron and Sigma glass and my glass is worth considerably more than my 4 Nikon bodies both FX and DX. When asked about 3rd party lenses my standard reply is IF you are willing to test your lenses and cameras for front or back focus using viewfinder AF (phase detection AF) and tune if necessary, you can save some money with 3rd party glass with excellent image quality. In fact, some 3rd party glass is actually rated sharper than some Nikkor glass like the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2. IF you don't want to both test and tune, stay with your camera's manufacturer glass. I have a lot of good reasons backed up by frustrating experiences for this recommendation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back